A Booster Organization to Support Chapters
Membership in Alpha Sigma Phi is for life. Lifetime involvement in the Fraternity means a life enhanced by the spirit, fellowship, ideals, and principles of Alpha Sigma Phi. The Alumni Association exists as an extension of each Chapter or Provisional Chapter. Consistent with our fraternal values and ethics, the Fraternity recognizes the Alumni Association as a strategic partner and booster of the Provisional Chapter or Chapter and Chapter Council.
Alumni Associations are stand-alone organizations that have their own constitution and by-laws. Like a Chapter Council, an Alumni Association has as its official name the Greek name of its respective Chapter or Provisional Chapter (e.g., Alpha Alumni Association). An Alumni Association typically has a stake in the success of their undergraduate chapter, thus alumni from its respective undergraduate chapter typically comprise Alumni Association membership.
The purpose of the Alumni Association is two-fold in nature: To provide support for the benefit of its respective Provisional Chapter/Chapter and Chapter Council through coordination of regular (annual/semi-annual/quarterly) events and/or fundraisers. To provide activities and events (Homecoming, golf outings, ball games, etc.) to support interaction among the alumni members of the Chapter.
The Alumni Association includes, at minimum, the following members:
- Decade Representative for each decade the chapter has been open
RECOGNIZED ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
At the 51st Grand Chapter, the Delegates voted overwhelmingly to change the National Constitution and By-laws to place a greater emphasis on chapter based Alumni Associations and less emphasis on regionally based Alumni Associations. Accordingly, all recognized chapter-based Alumni Associations in good standing with Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters are entitled to one vote at Grand Chapter. If your alumni group is interested in becoming a recognized Alumni Association, look through our Alumni Association Resources.
REQUIREMENTS TO BE IN GOOD STANDING
- Submit and maintain an updated and current copy of the Alumni Association's constitution and by-laws to Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters.
- Update the Alumni Association officers in Vault. The officers that need to be updated are the President, Treasurer, and Decade Representatives.
- Sponsor at least one alumni event annually (January through December) and send pictures with a brief description to Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters for inclusion in future fraternity publications, such as The Tomahawk Monthly Newsletter or The Tomahawk Magazine.
SERVICES PROVIDED BY FRATERNITY HEADQUARTERS
- Updated Alumni Directory: We will add updates to the list as you receive them, and we will also provide you with a list with contact information for your alumni. Emails are available at all times but to get a list of phone numbers and addresses, the Alumni Association President must submit a Membership Data Agreement form. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a Membership Data Agreement form.
- Liability Insurance will be provided by Fraternity Headquarters to recognized Alumni Associations at no cost to the organization.
- A vote at Grand Chapters, Annual Meetings, or mail votes.
- Two electronic newsletters (up to six pages) sent to all chapter alumni with good email addresses. You supply the content and proof the final version. We'll design the newsletter and make sure it is sent out. All content and photos should be sent at least one month prior to when the Alumni Association wants the newsletter to be distributed.
- Fraternity Headquarters will assist in one Alumni Association mailing. Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity Headquarters will provide labor, envelopes, and printing of a mailing. All the Alumni Association needs to provide is the content and cost of postage.
- Fundraising assistance is also available for Chapters/Associations that are in need of a financial campaign.