In the event of an emergency and someone needs help, get help. Call 911.
If a member assists another person in obtaining immediate and appropriate medical care related to the use or consumption of alcohol, drugs, or to another medical emergency, then that member, as well as those who are assisted, will not be subject to individual disciplinary action with respect to the incident. This is the case even if the member who is assisting was a contributing factor to that emergency.
Chapters/provisional chapters who get help and properly report alleged violations of our Health & Safety Policy, including completing a detailed incident report on myAlphaSig within 24 hours of the alleged incident, will be granted amnesty from insurance surcharges. Consideration will also be given when deciding sanctions and restrictions with the benefit being given to chapters/provisional chapters who properly report alleged incidents within 24 hours and are self-governing.
- Chapters/provisional chapters found in violation of our Health & Safety Policy that did not complete an Incident Report will receive an additional $50 per member fee if any of the following occur:
- Consumption of hard alcohol or liquor by any member or guest at any Alpha Sigma Phi event (official or unofficial) unless a third-party vendor is used.
- Possession or usage of any illegal drug by any member or guest at any Alpha Sigma Phi event (official or unofficial) or on property owned or leased by Alpha Sigma Phi or that would be considered to be an Alpha Sigma Phi “house”.
- Sexual assault or any action that is viewed as demeaning in language and/or behavior.
- A fraternity event is defined as, “Any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter/provisional chapter; or any event which a reasonable observer would associate with the fraternity.”
- Chapters/provisional chapters that are found responsible for violating health & safety policies will be placed on Administrative Probation at a minimum. A second offense in a two-year period will result in the chapter/provisional chapter being placed on Administrative Suspension at a minimum. A third offense in a two-year period will result in the Charter Review process commencing.
- If any of the four behaviors referenced above occur, the following additional sanctions will happen to the chapter and members:
- Individual members involved will be disciplined with a minimum sanction of suspension for 180 days from all chapter and fraternity activities to a maximum sanction of expulsion.
- Individual members will be subject to civil and criminal charges as pursued by Alpha Sigma Phi.
- All new members will be initiated within 48 hours with an advisor present.
- Chapters/provisional chapters will have the ability to appeal to the President and CEO once sanctions have been issued.
Click here to download a copy of the Amnesty Policy.