Chapters and provisional chapters that properly report alleged violations of our Risk Management Policy, including completing a detailed incident report on Portal, within 24 hours of the alleged incident will be granted amnesty from insurance surcharges. Consideration will also be given when deciding sanctions and restrictions with the benefit being given to chapters/provisional chapters that properly report alleged incidents within 24 hours and are self- governing.
- Chapters or provisional chapters found in violation of our Risk Management policy will receive a 10% surcharge on the current year’s insurance bill which will be payable in full by June 15.
- Chapters or provisional chapters found in violation of our Risk Management policy will receive an additional 25% surcharge (35% total) if any of the following occur:
- Consumption of hard alcohol or liquor by any member or guest at any Alpha Sigma Phi event (official or unofficial) unless a third-party vendor is used.
- Possession or usage of any illegal drug by any member or guest at any Alpha Sigma Phi event (official or unofficial) or on property owned or leased by Alpha Sigma Phi or that would be considered to be an Alpha Sigma Phi “house”.
- Sexual assault or any action that is viewed as demeaning in language and/or behavior.
- A fraternity event is defined as, “Any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter or provisional chapter; or any event which a reasonable observer would associate with the fraternity.”
- Chapters or provisional chapters that are found responsible for violating risk management policies will be placed on Administrative Probation at a minimum. A second offense in a two-year period will result in the chapter or provisional chapter being placed on Administrative Suspension at a minimum. A third offense in a two- year period will result in the Charter Review process commencing.
- If any of the four behaviors referenced above occur, the following additional sanctions will happen to the chapter and members:
- Individual members involved will be disciplined with a minimum sanction of suspension for 180 days from all local and national activities to a maximum sanction of expulsion.
- Individual members involved will also be billed a $1000 fine to be payable to Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters within 60 days of the incident. Once received, that fine will be placed in the chapter’s endowment for educational purposes.
- Chapter or provisional chapters will be restricted from having any social event with alcohol (official or unofficial) for a minimum of 90 days; all new members will be initiated within 48 hours.
- Chapters and provisional chapters will have the ability to appeal to the President and CEO once sanctions have been issued.