Epsilon Rho Chapter
Appalachian State University
Founded: January 28, 2006
Ideal Chapter Size: 50
President - Steven Scofield
Vice President - Nathan Carnes
Recruitment Director - Jason Cobb
Alumni Director - Riley Silknitter
Grand Chapter Advisor - Brittain Tulbert
Alumni Association President - None
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup
Appalachian State University originated as Watauga Academy in 1899. In 1903 the legislature authorized the Appalachian Training School for Teachers. In 1929 the school became Appalachian State Teachers College. A graduate school was added in 1948 and the name was changed to Appalachian State University in 1967.
Alpha Sigma Phi at Appalachian State University began with the vision of David Stafford, who in 2001 enlisted Brooks Lockhart and Chris Daniels to build an organization of high moral values and ethics. The core group grew, adding members who consistently achieved the highest grade point average among fraternities. The Pet-a-Pup service program for the Watauga Humane Society began in Spring 2002, and has been continued. 25 men joined and the interest group was recognized as a colony on April 15, 2003. The colony stated its main objective to unite a select group of men, to help them grow academically and socially as role models, and to encourage direct service to the community. In Spring 2005 the colony had the highest grade point average of any of the 14 NIC and NPHC Fraternities on the campus. In Fall 2005, 33 undergraduates and 16 alumni of the colony petitioned Alpha Sigma Phi for a charter.
The colony was chartered on January 28, 2006 with 35 charter members. The charter was presented by Grand Junior President Scott Grissom, Oklahoma '78 to Chapter President Jeff Arrowood, Appalachian State '06. Undergraduate members of Epsilon Pi, Delta Zeta, Gamma Theta, Alpha Tau, and Alpha Psi Chapters, Grand Junior President Scott Grissom, Oklahoma '78, Rick Buss, UNC-Charlotte '90, Grand Chapter Advisor of Delta Zeta Chapter, and five other alumni and Fraternity staff members conducted the initiation. The installation banquet took place at the University Convention Center. At Alpha Sigma Phi's entry, there were eleven other fraternities involving 7% of the male undergraduates.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.