Zeta Delta Chapter
Founded: November 19, 2011
Ideal Chapter Size: 25
President - Garrett Dutton
Vice President - Ben Hammond
Recruitment Director - Garrett Dutton
Alumni Director - Robert Scheinfeld
Grand Chapter Advisor - Kenneth Holley
Alumni Association President - Chaz Glick
Augusta State University is an outgrowth of the Academy of Richmond County chartered in 1783, and opened in 1785. It offered college-level classes for boys to enter universities as sophomores or juniors. It became the Junior College of Augusta in 1925, and moved to the site of the Augusta Arsenal in 1957. The institution was transferred to the University System of Georgia in 1958 and granted its first four year degrees in 1963. In 1996, Augusta College became Augusta State University. In 2013, Augusta State University merged with Georgia Health Sciences University to become Georgia Regents University.
The expansion of Alpha Sigma Phi at Georgia Regents University began in the fall of 2009 when Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters contacted the Director of Student Activities informing them of Alpha Sigma Phi's interest in expanding in Georgia. With the approval of the Greek council in the spring of 2010, plans were made to begin efforts in the fall of 2010.
After a period of contacts with Matt Humberger, Bowling Green '03 from Fall 2009 to Spring 2010, an interest group was developed on the campus by Jason Hinson-Nolen, Murray State '05 in September 2010. On September 21, 2010 21 men went through the Pledge Ceremony. Two days later, on September 23, 2010, four more men became new members of the Fraternity. The 25 new members of Alpha Sigma Phi hit the ground running with planning community service, philanthropy, and brotherhood events.
The biggest bonding experience of all occurred during the Phoenix Rising Colony retreat held by Jason Hinson-Nolen, Murray State '05, J. W. Lane, Murray State '99, and Steve Dutton, Bowling Green '04, which provided the Georgia Regents University, Georgia Tech, and UNC-Asheville colonies the opportunity to meet each other. During the retreat, the three colonies participated in various team-building and goal setting activities. This made the groups even closer and helped establish the work that needed to be done to develop and create a solid foundation for a future chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi. The colony ended the 2010-2011 academic year with 19 members, and recruited six more in the early Fall 2011. A petition for charter was approved on October 1, 2011. Alpha Sigma Phi is the second NIC Fraternity to charter at Georgia Regents. They are the first chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi to ever be chartered in the State of Georgia when they were installed on November 19, 2011.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.