A Team of Support
The Chapter Council model is the evolution of the Chapter Advisory Team concept introduced in the 1990s. It was included in the national constitution at Grand Chapter 2006. The Grand Chapter Advisor is the chair of the Chapter Council. The Chapter Council owns responsibility for coaching, mentoring, and guiding the undergraduate officers. Fundraising, alumni programming/networking, and asset ownership remains the responsibility of the Alumni Association and/or House Corporation. This eliminates direct linkages between the undergraduates and alumni assets, thereby limiting liability and reducing risk.
A Chapter Council's primary role is to advise and mentor the undergraduate officers by providing a mature perspective to the undergraduate chapter. Other general duties and responsibilities of the Chapter Council are:
- To help the chapter achieve maximum self-sufficiency.
- To provide the Chapter with continuity, understand the Chapter's dynamics, and to adjust its approach to fit the ever-changing conditions.
- To be familiar with the Fraternity's best practices of chapter operations and the Ritual of Alpha Sigma Phi.
- To appoint or remove members of the Chapter Council by a majority vote with the Grand Chapter Advisor holding the tie-breaking vote.
- To enforce, maintain, and regulate itself with respect to judicial laws, national policies, acceptable attendance and preparation for meetings, long range planning principles, and respect of roles.
- To not allow an officer, individual, or committee of the Chapter Council to hinder or be an excuse for not fulfilling its commitments.
The Chapter Council, in order to limit risk and liability, is limited from:
- Having its own constitution and by-laws
- Having a checking or savings account
- Raising funds
- Owning real estate
The Chapter Council should be comprised of the following positions:
- Grand Chapter Advisor: serves as the Council Chairperson and advises the President and Vice President
- Recruitment Advisor: advises the Recruitment Director
- Parent/Family Ambassador: advises the Family Relations Director
- Membership Education Advisor: advises the Membership Education Director
- Service/Philanthropy Advisor: advises the Service Director and the Philanthropy Director
- Financial Advisor: advises the Treasurer and Fundraising Director
- Ritual Advisor: advises the Marshal
- Brotherhood Development Advisor: advises the Brotherhood Development Director
- Scholarship Advisor: advises the Scholarship Director
- Standards Advisor: advises the Sergeant-at-Arms, Risk Management Director, and Social Director
- Faculty Advisor: liaison to university
- Housing Advisor: advises the House Manager, liaison to property manager
- Undergraduate Chapter President (ex-officio member)
- Alumni Association President (ex-officio member)
- House Corporation President (ex-officio member)
Note: To recognize a group as a Chapter Council, all required positions must be filled. The President & CEO of the Fraternity determines the required positions based on the current strategies of the Grand Council. Currently, those required positions are bolded in the list provided above.
Most terms for members of the Chapter Council are for two years in duration unless otherwise noted. To ensure continuity of focus and consistency, it is recommended that the terms of the Chapter Council positions are staggered. There are no limits on the number of terms an advisor may serve. Except for the Grand Chapter Advisor, Chapter Council roles require a nominal time commitment of 4-6 hours per month. For more information about the Chapter Council and/or the roles of specific members of the Chapter Council, please review our Volunteer Resources.