Permanently Endowing Our Future
Supporting Your Chapter for Future Generations
Chapter endowments are supported through gifts from undergraduates, alumni, parents, family members and friends of the chapter. Through annual gifts to a chapter endowment, the funds grow and the impact on the undergraduate chapter increases, both short and long term. The funds are managed and invested by the Alpha Sigma Phi Foundation and serve as a permanent reserve used exclusively to benefit the chapter’s undergraduate members. Even if the chapter were to close, the chapter endowment would remain available for use when the chapter returned to campus. Unlike gifts made directly to the chapter, gifts to the chapter endowment are tax-deductible.
The Alpha Sigma Phi Foundation reviews each endowment fund annually and makes available a percentage of the fair market value of the Fund's assets to be distributed during the subsequent year, which is presently four and one-half percent (4.5%) of the rolling five-year average of the market value of the endowment at the end of the previous fiscal year. Every gift designated to benefit a chapter through their endowment will be allocated in the following manner: 70% Temporary Chapter Fund, 20% Permanent Chapter Endowment and 10% Fund for Alpha Sigma Phi.
Click here to read the Foundation Resource Guide.
There are two types of Chapter Endowments:
- Educational Fund – Funds in this endowment may be used for qualified educational purposes such as scholarships (merit, needs-based or recruitment), retreats (chapter, officer, etc), supporting membership dues (through Educational Program Fee), attendance at leadership programs and conferences (registration, lodging, travel, etc.) or other qualified educational purposes.
- Building Fund – Funds in this endowment may be used for qualified educational purposes associated with the chapter facility or shared living space.
- Temporary Chapter Fund contributions will be allocated to the chapter each August – helping cover educational programming fees (up to $4,500 annually) and drastically reducing chapter bills.
- Every $10,000 in the Permanent Chapter Endowment will yield an annual spendable balance of $450.
- A Chapter Endowment with $50,000 would have $2,250 to spend annually and some examples of how that could be used include:
- 1 - $500 recruitment scholarship
- 2 - $500 scholarships to new members with the highest Grade Point Average
- 1 - $500 to initiated members with the most improvement in Grade Point Average from one semester to another
- A Chapter Endowment with $100,000 would have $4,500 to spend annually and some examples of how that could be used include:
- $1,000 needs-based scholarship to an initiated member in need of financial assistance
- $2,000 in scholarships and travel assistance to send undergraduate members to the Fraternity’s summer leadership program
- $1,000 in travel assistance to send 8 officers to Academy of Leadership and Better Man Weekend
- $500 to offset the cost for a chapter to hold an annual goal-setting retreat