Chi Provisional Chapter
Founded: May 15, 1920
Delta Beta Xi
Andrews, Clark L. '22 
Cotton, Emile L. '23 
Droegemueller, Arthur C. '39 
Ford, Theodore '20 
McDonald, George H. '20 
Pratt, James B. '20 
The University of Chicago was incorporated as a coeducational, secular institution in 1890 by the American Baptist Education Society and supported by a donation from John D. Rockefeller on land donated by Marshall Field. It succeeded an earlier Baptist affiliated University of Chicago which had closed in 1886 during a national financial crisis.
On February 22, 1898 a local fraternity known as Washington House made its debut at the University of Chicago. These were the patriotic days of the Spanish American War. One of the alumni of the Washington House, Harold F. Mac Neish, Yale '12, joined Alpha Sigma Phi at Yale while doing graduate work there. He led Washington House to petition Alpha Sigma Phi for a charter in 1913. The petition was not accepted, but work between the groups continued, and a successful petition was submitted in 1919. Nathan Van Stone, Michigan '10, was advisor to the colony in 1919-20, and served as installing officer.
The Washington House was installed as Chi Chapter on May 15, 1920. It was initially housed at 5532 Kenwood Avenue, but moved in 1922 to 5635 University Avenue. In 1935, with fewer students able to afford fraternity affiliation, and a growing preponderance of graduate students at the University, operations of Chi Chapter were suspended.
In 1923, a charter was granted to Beta Chapter of Phi Pi Phi at the University of Chicago. In 1924 the chapter's address was 923 E. Sixtieth Street. In Spring 1929 it moved to a new house at 5643 Dorchester Avenue. In 1932 the chapter moved into a residence hall suite on campus, and in 1934 it left campus for a house at 5756 Kimbark Avenue. Beta of Phi Pi Phi ranked first in academic performance for four successive terms in 1929-31, and took permanent possession of the University of Chicago fraternity scholarship trophy. The chapter continued to have the leading grade point average among campus fraternities in 1932-34.
In the Fall of 1948 a reactivation committee was formed, but efforts to revive Chi Chapter were unsuccessful. The chapter initiated 192 members and an additional 17 Phi Pi Phi's are enrolled on the Chi Chapter Roster.
George H. MacDonald, Chicago '20, served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi. He and five other Chicago Chapter alumni have received the Delta Beta Xi Award.
During the spring 2018 semester, an interest group contacted Fraternity Headquarters with the hopes of revitalizing the previously-closed chapter. Assistant Director of Expansion and Growth Mike Carlo, Illinois State '13, assisted the Interest Group in recruitment efforts and conducting the Pledge Ceremony. In the fall of 2018, Mike Carlo and Coordinator of Expansion Kyle Postal, Illinois State '15, provided additional support during the recruitment period. By the end of the semester, 15 men were initiated into Alpha Sigma Phi.
On February 4, 2019, the Interest Group was installed as an official Provisional Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi. Coordinator of Undergraduate Engagement Adrian Hernandez, Houston '15, represented Fraternity Staff. Micael Guzman, Chicago '18, was the Provisional Chapter President at the time of installation.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/provisional chapter before they are submitted for consideration.