Epsilon Upsilon Chapter
Founded: April 5, 2008
Ideal Chapter Size: 100
Conduct Violations: Risk Management, 2014
President - Ben Smith
Recruitment Director - John Morrissey
Alumni Director - Trevor Pickit
Grand Chapter Advisor - David Roux
Alumni Association President - Jordan Todd
Epsilon Upsilon Chapter Newsletter - Fall 2016
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup -2017, 2012, 2010
Clemson College was founded in 1889 and opened as a military college in 1893. It became co-educational and ended its military discipline system in 1955 and became a University in 1960. National fraternities were first allowed to organize at Clemson in the 1980's. 25 fraternities, with a membership of more than 38% of undergraduate men in 2005-06, preceded Alpha Sigma Phi at Clemson.
Pecco Beaufays, a transfer student from SUNY Buffalo who was acquainted with several members of an Alpha Sigma Phi colony at Buffalo, met Sean McGee, and they determined to found an Alpha Sigma Phi chapter. University approval for the venture was obtained and the group grew to ten men. A formal Alpha Sigma Phi interest group was formed on October 12, 2004, by 18 Clemson students. On November 4, 2005, Will Lasher, Trine '01, and members of the Alpha Psi Chapter pledged the members of the interest group at Presbyterian College and the group was recognized as a colony of Alpha Sigma Phi. As the group worked through the rest of the academic year, fifteen members left the colony, and nine new men joined the three surviving founders, Beaufays, McGee, and John Abels.
By March 2006 membership in the colony had grown to 37 men. Eleven more men joined in Spring 2006, and the colony ended the year with 44 members. Berkeley King, Presbyterian '95, was a leader among alumni advisors to the colony. Eric Muth, Hartwick '88, was faculty advisor, while Fritz Whittmore, Presbyterian '99, and James W. Lane, Murray '99, were advisors to the colony. On November 5, 2006, while a chartering petition was pending approval by the Grand Council, a hazing incident by four members of the colony came to light, and the chartering was postponed.
The chapter was chartered on April 5, 2008. Bernie Schulz, Radford '89, Rick Buss, UNC-Charlotte '90, and Justin La Roche, UNC-Charlotte '06, represented the Grand Council at the chartering.
In the 2010 fall semester, through the efforts of Joe Zimmerman, Bowling Green '77 and Rob Whitfield, Murray State '04, the chapter secured an off-campus house. Funding from the house was secured through parents of the chapter and loans from Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters and the Ohio Wesleyan House Corporation.
David Roux, Clemson '10 has served as an Undergraduate Grand Councilor of Alpha Sigma Phi.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.