Delta Sigma Provisional Chapter
Coastal Carolina University
Founded: October 30, 1993
Recruitment Director -
Alumni Director -
Grand Chapter Advisor - Chuck Capps
Alumni Association President -
Coastal Carolina Junior College opened in September 1954, with 53 students. From 1954 through 1958, the college operated as a branch of the College of Charleston. In August 1959, the college became part of the University of South Carolina. In 1961, a 185 acre tract was secured as a campus site. Ground breaking was in 1962, and the campus opened in 1963 with 100 students in one building. Authority to grant four year degrees was conferred in 1974. The first on campus housing opened in 1987. Pi Kappa Phi and Sigma Phi Epsilon preceded Alpha Sigma Phi, while Sigma Nu developed concurrently.
The colony's petition for chartering had 25 signatories. Installation and initiation with 42 charter members was set for May 2, 1993, but delayed until October 1993 to allow sufficient members to obtain academic qualifications. On March 7, 1994, Ronnie F. McBride, Delta Kappa '82, was appointed Grand Chapter Advisor.
On March 13, 1995, the chapter was placed on probation for inappropriate pre-initiation activities. An entire new member class left the chapter. The chapter was directed to revamp the new member education program to eliminate hazing. Ryan Brown was the President and Bryan Fenters was the Membership Education Director. Chapter membership was thirty.
In the Fall of 1996, the chapter recruited a new member class of 17. Hazing incidents not involving great risk of bodily injury led to the suspension of two undergraduate members and expulsion or suspension for duration of college of several others. Ongoing problems of new member treatment and risk management violations led to the revocation of the charter in Fall 1999. The chapter initiated 93 members. Ryan Brown, Coastal Carolina '94, served on the Fraternity staff.
Alpha Sigma Phi will head back to Coastal Carolina in the fall of 2018.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.