Founded 1845 | Yale University

 
Close

Site Map

Coe College

Alpha Chi Chapter


Coe College
Founded: January 7, 1928 | Re-chartered: 1955
Status: In-Active

 

Chapter History

Coe College was founded as 'The School for Prophets' in 1851. Two years later the founder received a $1,500 gift from Daniel Coe to start a co-educational college in Cedar Rapids. The Cedar Rapids Collegiate Institute was incorporated in 1853, and became the Coe Collegiate Institute in 1875. It became Coe College in 1881.

Lambda Tau Delta was established in the Fall of 1920 by members of the Olio Literary Society who wanted a more comprehensive and closer social organization. In 1927 the group petitioned Alpha Kappa Pi at the instigation of members of the Ellsworth Chapter. The fraternity granted the petition and chartered the group as Zeta of Alpha Kappa Pi on January 7, 1928. The chapter house at 1316 First Avenue in Cedar Rapids was the first chapter house owned by a chapter of Alpha Kappa Pi. Robert Duckworth, Coe '28, was president of the chapter for three years. Its first newsletter was "The Owl." The chapter became inactive due to disruptions of the Great Depression on 1937.

In 1946 the designation was changed to Alpha Chi of Alpha Sigma Phi. The chapter was re-chartered in 1955. In 1973, the chapter became the first Coe College fraternity to have an off-campus house since 1942. In 1974 its house, The Craig House, was the only fraternity chapter house at Coe College. In 1980 the chapter gave up its house at 1321 "A" Avenue and moved into Green Hall which was on campus fraternity housing.  Howard Helscher, Coe '28, and John Helming, Coe '58, have been awarded Delta Beta Xi keys. The chapter newsletter was "The Alpha Chi Courier." After several years of low membership and declining college enrollment, the chapter became inactive in 1982. The chapter initiated 246 members.


Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.

This information should be submitted to tbtm@alphasigmaphi.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.



In this section