Gamma Delta Provisional Chapter
Davis and Elkins College
Founded: April 12, 1949
Grand Senior President's Cup -1962
President - Cordel Bostic
Recruitment Director - Garrett Willis
Alumni Director - Blake Boswell
Grand Chapter Advisor - Robert Baird
Alumni Association President - None
Gamma Delta has been reinstalled as a provisional chapter at Davis and Elkins College in the spring of 2015.
In the Fall of 1947, Delta Sigma was formed. The group soon petitioned Alpha Sigma Phi and was installed on April 12, 1949. Members of the Beta Delta Chapter conducted the initial initiation. Past Grand Senior President Wilbur H. Cramblet, Yale '12, represented the Grand Council at the installation and Executive Secretary Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, presented the charter. Professor Steven Toadvine, Cornell '19, was toastmaster and Professor Stanley White, Yale '23, was the first faculty advisor. During the early years the chapter claimed most of the student association officers of the campus.
The chapter obtained a house at 106 Boundary in November 1952. In 1954 the chapter purchased a house at 430 Randolph. In 1955 a scholarship cup was created by the college to be awarded to the fraternity with the best grade point average and Alpha Sigma Phi won the cup six of the next nine semesters. The chapter won five of six campus intramural football championships from 1960 to 1966. In 1976 a fire badly damaged the chapter house and on-campus housing was made available. In June 1994, after a series of risk management violations, poor academic performance, and mounting debts, the charter of the chapter was withdrawn. The chapter initiated 732 men through March 1992.
The chapter won the Grand Senior President's Award for 1960-1962, Summa Cum Laude Awards for 1969-70 and 1962-63, the Scholastic Improvement Award for 1961-63, and the Tomahawk Award for 1969. The chapter newsletter was "The Sig Circle", and it won the Chapter Newsletter Award for 1958-60.
William Crist, Davis & Elkins '59, served as Trustee and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Alpha Sigma Phi Foundation. Jess Green, Davis & Elkins '53, served on the Fraternity staff. Joseph F. Bangham, Jr., Davis & Elkins '51, Philip J. Graziana, Davis & Elkins '49, Maxwell Morgan, Davis & Elkins '52, and William Crist, Davis & Elkins '59, have received the Delta Beta Xi Award.
The Gamma Delta Chapter was revived in the spring of 2015 when Ty Montemoino-Little, Davis & Elkins '15 contacted alumni and Fraternity Headquarters to re-start the dormant group. Fraternity staff member, Dylan Dunne, Grand Valley '10 conducted a Pledge Ceremony on February 4, 2015 with the help of the men from the Beta Nu Chapter at West Virginia Wesleyan University. Matt Guldberg, Colorado '12 assisted with the Alpha Phase and Pinnacle Week and the Provisional Chapter was initiated on April 26, 2015 in the Halliehurst Mansion on the campus of Davis & Elkins.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/provisional chapter before they are submitted for consideration.