Gamma Upsilon Chapter
Eastern Michigan University
Founded: June 6, 1948
Re-Chartered: January 8, 2016
President - Sawyer Jacobs
Recruitment Director - Kenneth Snavely
Alumni Director - None
Grand Chapter Advisor - Joe Schoch
Alumni Association President -None
Gamma Upsilon Newsletter - Fall 2016
Evin C. Varner Distinguished Service Award
Cabello, Robert G. '75 
Anderson, Stuart W. '73 
Delta Beta Xi
Anderson, Stuart W. '73 
Cabello, Robert G. '70 
Rowan, William B. '74 
Wenk, Kenneth '66 
Eastern Michigan University originated in 1849 and opened as Michigan State Normal School in 1953. The name was changed from normal school to college in 1899, about the time the two oldest surviving campus buildings were built. The institution became Eastern Michigan College in 1956 and was granted University status in 1959.
Iota chapter of Alpha Gamma Upsilon was installed at Eastern Michigan State on June 6, 1948. The chapter originated in a colonization effort inaugurated by "Sparky" Force, Alpha Gamma Upsilon's Executive Secretary, and Alpha Gamma Upsilon's National President "Scooter" Anderson. William Hemes was the chief undergraduate leader. The first formal meeting of the colony occurred on January 10, 1948. In 1952, the chapter was able to lease a chapter house, and they operated it throughout the rest of the decade.
In 1965, pursuant to terms of the merger agreement between Alpha Gamma Upsilon and Alpha Sigma Phi, Iota of Alpha Gamma Upsilon Fraternity became Gamma Upsilon of Alpha Sigma Phi. Gamma Upsilon Chapter was installed on September 24, 1966 by Grand Senior President Ray Glos, Illinois '22, Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, Ed Madison, Alabama '58, Gary McAnaney, Ohio Northern '58, and ASP Corporation secretary Douglas Hammial, Michigan '20. Past Alpha Gamma Upsilon President James Brown was Toastmaster. In 1974 the chapter moved to a house accommodating twelve residents at 208 Normal Avenue and in 1987 relocated to 207 Summit North. Membership difficulties at times during the Vietnam War era left the chapter financially unstable and the alumni "burned out." A leadership crisis of brief duration led to demise of the weakened chapter. The Alpha Sigma Phi chapter issued a newsletter called The Items, which replaced the Alpha Gamma Upsilon chapter newsletter, Iota Items. The chapter roll contains the names of 225 Alpha Sigma Phi initiates.
Ken Ringwald served as an Undergraduate Advisor to the Grand Council. Stuart W. "Scooter" Anderson, Eastern Michigan '73, past Executive Director of Alpha Gamma Upsilon, and Robert Cabello, Eastern Michigan '70 have received the Distinguished Service Award of Alpha Sigma Phi. Robert Cabello, Eastern Michigan '70, served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi, and took a lead role in developing colonies of Alpha Sigma Phi at Illinois State and Central Michigan Universities.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.