Founded 1845 | Yale University


Site Map

House Corporations

House Corporations

Support for Housing Efforts of Undergraduates

During the early decades of Alpha Sigma Phi's existence, the only efforts made to involve alumni were chapter-initiated annual Sig Busts and alumni reunions. It wasn't until the early 1900s that efforts began to build long term loyalty and alumni support. With the advent of chapter housing to compete with other fraternities housing in the 1900s, Alpha Sigma Phi formed chapter corporations to own and manage the houses. These were the first official organizations of alumni volunteers. These chapter corporations evolved into what is known today as Housing Corporations.

Over the years, the Housing Corporations have taken on many variations. Some strictly act as landlords, only interacting with the undergraduates on matters concerning the physical property. Others have morphed into variations of a Housing Corporation/Association and others into Housing Corporations/Association/Chapter Council duties. In the Strategic Plan 2005-2010, the duties of the Housing Corporation were clearly set out and limited to landlord status. This was primarily done to limit liability and risk to the Housing Corporation assets, primarily the chapter house.

Housing Corporations are self-governed by their local board of directors and by the corporation laws of the state in which they are located.

In 2010, the Fraternity established CLVEN, LLC. a subsidiary of Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity, Inc. CLVEN, which stands for Causa Latet Vis Est Notissima, the Fraternity's open motto, was created to provide resources, guidance, and even funding to existing and new chapters and provisional chapters looking to improve their facility or secure housing for members. Click here for more information about CLVEN.

The House Corporation includes, at minimum, the following members:

  • President
  • Vice President
  • Treasurer
  • Secretary

Recognized House Corporation

In 2014, at the 53rd Grand Chapter, the delegates voted overwhelmingly to change the National Constitution and Bylaws to place a greater emphasis on House Corporation. Alpha Sigma Phi will now recognize House Corporations if they have met all benchmarks as listed below. If you or someone you know is interested in creating a recognized House Corporation, look through our 'How to start a House Corporation' and Application documents.

House Corporations currently recognized by the Fraternity are:

  • Epsilon House Corporation (Ohio Wesleyan University) 
  • Eta House Corporation (University of Illinois) 
  • Theta House Corporation (University of Michigan) 
  • Nu House Corporation (University of California-Berkeley)
  • Phi House Corporation (Iowa State University)
  • Alpha Iota House Corporation (University of Alabama)
  • Alpha Nu House Corporation (Westminster College)
  • Alpha Pi House Corporation (Purdue University)
  • Beta Omicron House Corporation (Trine University)
  • Delta Omicron House Corporation (Illinois State University)
  • Epsilon Pi House Corporation (Miami University)
  • Zeta Kappa House Corporation (University of Wisconsin-Whitewater)
  • Eta Kappa House Corporation (University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill)

Requirements To Be Recognized

  • Update the House Corporation officers in Portal. The officers that need to be updated are the President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
  • If your House Corporation will own property, you are required to incorporate within your respective state, which is generally done through the Secretary of State's office. Submit and maintain an updated and current copy of the House Corporation's Articles of Incorporation and by-laws to Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters. Even if your House Corporation will not own property, it is still recommended to be incorporated within your state.
  • Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and submit this number to Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters. This EIN is needed to complete the necessary IRS forms and to open a bank account. The House Corporation should file for tax exempt status with the IRS to be a non-profit organization.
  • Hold, at minimum, one meeting annually (which is required by most states) where the House Corporation creates a platform for the coming year. It is recommended that quarterly meeting are held for all House Corporations.
  • Maintain proof of insurance coverage of real property, if the House Corporation is the property owner.
  • Maintain an updated copy of the current lease being used between the House Corporation (lessor) and undergraduate student (lessee) if applicable.

Service Provided By Fraternity Headquarters

  • House Corporation Officer Liability Insurance will be provided by Fraternity Headquarters to recognize House Corporations at no cost to the organization.
  • Staff and online resources are available for all House Corporations.
  • In the future, Alpha Sigma Phi will offer recognized House Corporations onsite training to provide those volunteers with training to lead and manage all House Corporations responsibilities.

CLVEN Owned Houses:

  • Central Michigan - 8 live-in members
  • Georgia Tech - 12 live-in members

CLVEN Owned Houses:

  • Colorado - 28 live-in members
  • Carnegie Mellon - 16 live-in members
  • Arizona - 58 live-in members
  • Grand Valley - 25 live-in members
  • Kentucky - 16 live-in members
  • Northern Illinois - 18 live-in members
  • Oregon State - 24 live-in members

Future CLVEN Houses:

  • Arizona State - Spot held for a future on-campus house for our Zeta Beta Chapter
  • NC State - Spot held for a future house in the campus Greek Village


Personal Property Insurance

While CLVEN provides liability insurance to all of our houses, it does not extend to cover personal items within the facility itself. As with any residence hall, apartment, or other collegiate living environment we highly recommend purchase of “renters insurance” to protect any personal items within the house. More information on our liability insurance for CLVEN houses can be found here (link to insurance page). If you have questions, please give us a call.


CLVEN staff will email our residents in the summer to remind them of check-in dates and again before any check-out or building closure dates during the year. These dates reflect what is in their student lease and can be referenced throughout the year. You are welcome to be there and we will send any guarantors a message notifying them of move-in.

What Communication Should I Expect?

You may receive occasional communications from CLVEN staff throughout the year, but your son will be your primary contact as it relates to CLVEN related items. Should you have questions you are encouraged to start with him and work with CLVEN should you need clarification. CLVEN as an organization is always growing to meet the needs of its residents. We are all in this together and are happy to hear feedback and questions, positive and constructive, from you!

Who Can I Contact If I Have Questions?

We encourage you to work with your son first on any housing related questions you may have. His lease agreement and chapter leadership can often answer most questions that come up. If you still have further questions, please feel free to contact a member of the CLVEN staff at 317-843-1911 and we will reply within 24 business hours should you miss us.

In this section