Gamma Chi Chapter
Founded: February 17, 1968 Re-chartered: 2002
Ideal Chapter Size: 55
President - Danny Axelrod
Vice President - Matt Weiss
Recruitment Director - Jordan Feller
Alumni Director - Arthur Robinson
Grand Chapter Advisor - Jason Hinson-Nolen
Alumni Association President - Thomas Hinkley
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup -2010
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup -1990
Grand Senior President's Cup- 1974
Distinguished Merit Award -2004
Kleinoder Graduate Scholarship -2006
The Eighth Point - Spring 2015
Indiana University was founded in 1820, and the first fraternity chapter chartered on the campus entered in 1845. Sigma Psi was organized on May 19, 1966 and Larry Fast was elected the group's first President. Stan Miller, Purdue '64, was advisor to the colony. Thirteen members of Sigma Psi returned to Bloomington in Fall 1966. In November 1966, four leaders of the group stole Sigma Psi's treasury of several hundred dollars, and that left the group feeling that there was little prospect of success, and little support from either Indiana University or Alpha Sigma Phi for their efforts.
New officers were elected and Sigma Psi grew to 29 members. On February 18, 1967 Sigma Psi was recognized as a colony of Alpha Sigma Phi. Grand Senior President Ray Glos, Illinois '22, Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, and Ed Madison, Alabama '58 presented the colonization certificate. John Chaney, John Carlson, and Dan Egler were the only three originators who remained in the group throughout colony status to chartering of the chapter. Thirty-seven members of the colony were initiated on September 9, 1967 by members of Alpha Pi and Alpha Alpha Chapters. Also assisting with the initiation were brothers from the Alpha Iota and Epsilon Chapters. On February 17, 1968 Sigma Psi was chartered as the Gamma Chi Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi in ceremonies at the Guest House Inn. Stan Miller, Alpha Pi '64, and Robert Cochrum, Indiana '64, were instrumental in leading the colony to chartering. Cochrum was the first GCA and first alumnus of the chapter to receive the Delta Beta Xi Award. A tradition of the colony and early chapter was to have a new chapter song for each major function.
During its first ten years the local/colony rented quarters at 513 North Park Avenue. The chapter suffered a house fire on November 5, 1972. In January 1973 the chapter moved to 625 N. Jordan Avenue. In 1978 the chapter was able to purchase a house at 1415 N. Jordan Avenue. In Fall 1986 an open party was raided and several arrests were made. Six weeks later two new members were hospitalized for acute alcohol poisoning and the chapter was suspended. The chapter rebounded from those problems and was named Indiana University's most improved fraternity in 1987. Gamma Chi hosted the 1979 National Leadership Conference. In 1990 construction of a new chapter house at 1968 North Jordan Avenue began, and the new house, accommodating 98 residents was dedicated on February 22, 1992. In 1998-99, the chapter was having operational problems and a membership review resulted in reducing undergraduate membership to a core group which had further problems in Fall 2000. As a result, the chapter was entirely reorganized. However, the chapter was unable to maintain debt service and cover overhead on its 98 man house. The chapter was temporarily closed from 2000 to 2002.
The chapter won the Grand Senior President's Award in 1974, the Alpha Gamma Upsilon Award for 1990, the National Province Leadership Award for 1973, and the Service Awards for 1978 and 1980. Gamma Chi Chapter also won the Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup in 2010. The chapter newsletter is "The Eighth Point;" and it won the Chapter Newsletter Award for 1974-76.
David K. Leedy, Indiana '86 and Les W. Meredith, Indiana '79, were Alpha Sigma Phi Scholars of the Year in 1987 and 1982 respectively. Adam Sedia, Indiana '04 won a Kleinoder Graduate Scholarship in 2006. Frank Wahman, Indiana '73, Chris Koch, Indiana '79 and Bob Woerner '92, served on the Fraternity staff. John Gibson, Indiana '85, served on the Fraternity staff, on the Grand Council, served two terms as Grand Senior President, and received the Distinguished Service Award. John R. Chaney, Indiana '67, has served as Executive Vice President of Alpha Sigma Phi, Inc., and the Educational Foundation from 1990 to 1993. Thomas Hinkley, Indiana '84, served as Chief Executive Officer of Alpha Sigma Phi from 1998 to 2003, and as Interim President and CEO in 2009. He received the Distinguished Merit Award in 2004, and serves on the Grand Council. Brian Jump, Indiana '77, headed the arrangements for the 1979 National Leadership Conference, served on the Fraternity Staff, and as a director and Chairman of the Alpha Sigma Phi Educational Foundation. Ronald Fisher, Indiana '69, and Tom Brown, Indiana '75 serve as Directors of the Alpha Sigma Phi Foundation. Mike Lawless, Indiana '72 and Ken Perkins, Indiana '69, served as Undergraduate Advisors to the Grand Council. Nine alumni of the chapter have received the Delta Beta Xi Award.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.