Beta Delta Chapter
Founded: December 14, 1929 Re-Chartered: December 6, 1980
Ideal Chapter Size: 60
Grand Senior President's Cup - [2017, 2013, 1996, 1994, 1992, 1990, 1988]
Alpha Kappa Pi Gold Cup - 
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - [2015, 2014, 2012, 2011]
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - 
Most Improved Chapter - 
Evin C. Varner Distinguished Service Award
Babb, Dr. Daniel P. '80 
Delta Beta Xi
Babb, Daniel P. '80 
Blevins, Don M. '70 
Bobbitt, James '29 
Chapman, James H. '55 
Cummings, James E. '36 
Fisher, James L. '40 
Green, N. Bayard '47 
Hermansdorfer, P. Andy '89 
Hudnall, Kinnie D. '97 
Kitchen, W. Samuel '29 
Lewis, Daniel '90 
Livingood, Justin K. '97 
Matthews, William F. '65 
Oxley, Leon K. '68 
Ramsey, David A. '53 
Undergraduate Scholar of the Year
Ramsey, Derek L. '10 
Wagner, Shaun D. '10 
Curry, Joshua L. '09 
Kleinoeder Graduate Scholar of the Year
Hermansdorfer, Andrew P. '89 
Undergraduate Hall of Fame
Ellis, Killian M. '13 
Marshall University originated as Marshall Academy in 1837 and was chartered as a college in 1858. Sigma Psi local fraternity was organized as an engineering fraternity by nineteen men in the Spring of 1923. In 1928 Sigma Psi dropped its departmental requirement, and in the Spring of 1928 a house was obtained. On December 14, 1929, Sigma Psi was chartered as the Mu Chapter of Alpha Kappa Pi Fraternity. It was the second national fraternity to charter a chapter at Marshall University. Installation was made by Adelbert Heinmuller, Coe '27, and members of the Bethany Chapter of Alpha Kappa Pi. Harper Grimm, Marshall '29, was the first president, and W. Samuel Kitchen, Marshall '29, was the first secretary of the chapter. By 1930 the chapter had an active alumni organization initially headed by Charles A. Point and Cecil Bremmer. The first chapter house was at 1539 Sixth Street, Huntington. In 1934 the chapter moved to 1726 Fifth Street.
In 1946 the chapter became Beta Delta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi upon merger of Alpha Sigma Phi with Alpha Kappa Pi. The chapter house in the early 1950's was at 1502 Third Avenue. From the mid-1950's to 1960 the house was located at 1617 Sixth Street.
In the Fall of 1960, only three undergraduates and one new member, Don Evans, Bob Kochler, Mike Arnett, and Jim Spencer, returned to the Alpha Sigma Phi Chapter at Marshall. The chapter moved to a house for twelve residents at 1540 Seventh Avenue, and a new member class of 28 was recruited. The following year began with seventeen initiates and six new members, and the chapter set about working toward returning to a larger house. In the mid-1960's chapter moved to 1615 Sixth Street. The chapter newsletter since 1949 has been "Sigs Phinal". In 1975 the chapter closed due to low membership.
On December 6, 1979, Beta Delta was re-colonized. Geoff Hall, Presbyterian '71, President of the Marshall Alumni Association, Don Blevins, Marshall '70, and Dick Barton, Marshall '44, were recognized for their assistance to the colony. Dave Lewis, Marshall '80, President of the Colony, accepted the colonization certificate. On December 6, 1980 the chapter was re-chartered. Delta Epsilon Chapter presented the initiation, and GSP Richard Gibbs, Oklahoma '51, presented the charter. A new house was obtained in 1982 at 2021 Fifth Avenue. In the mid 1980's, the chapter quadrupled its undergraduate membership and attained preeminence on the campus. In 1987-88 five members of the chapter were accepted to entering medical school classes for Fall 1988. Beta Delta Chapter won the Grand Senior President's Award in 1988, and Grand Senior President's Awards and Gary Anderson Awards in 1990, 1992, 1994 and 1996. Beta Delta also won the 1986 Alpha Gamma Upsilon Award, the 1991 Gary Anderson Awards, the 1990, 1991, and 1992 Awards for Service, the 1990 Summa Cum Laude Award, the 1990 Academic Achievement Award, the 1991 Tomahawk Award, and 1991 and 1992 "Old Gal Gazette" Award. The chapter received Marshall University's Chapter Excellence Award in 2004, and in 2006 commenced to string six successive Marshall University Chapter Excellence Award together through 2012. Beta Delta received the award once more in 2018.
In spring 2006, charter revocation proceedings commenced against Beta Delta Chapter for financial delinquencies. Alumni had contributed significant sums to reduce the indebtedness, but undergraduate members with outstanding obligations did not carry through and meet their obligations.
William S. Kitchen, Marshall '29, served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi, and is one of eleven Beta Delta chapter alumni to have received the Delta Beta Xi Award. Dr. Dan Babb, Marshall '80, served as Grand Chapter Advisor for 31 years, and received the Evin Varner Distinguished Service Award.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.