Alpha Rho Chapter
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Founded: January 1, 1921 Re-chartered: January, 1982
Ideal Chapter Size: 45
Grand Senior President's Cup - [2014, 2012]
Alpha Kappa Pi Gold Cup - [2015, 2013]
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - [2018, 2016, 2011]
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - 
Delta Beta Xi
Baquerizo, Humberto X. '91 
Di Bisceglie, Bruce D. '82 
Owens, Robert J. '93 
Severino, William G. '87 
Undergraduate Hall of Fame
Araujo, Anthony A. '12 
Nicosia, Matthew J. '11 
Newark College of Engineering was founded in 1881. Phi Delta Zeta, founded January 1, 1921, was the first fraternity established at the Newark College of Engineering. The fraternity began to seek national affiliation in the mid 1920's. With the assistance of Rev. Albert H. Wilson, a Sigma Nu active in the inter-fraternity movement, the fraternity combined with Alpha Kappa Pi of Wagner College on the afternoon of March 23, 1926, in the study of Rev. Albert H. Wilson, forming a new national fraternity, Alpha Kappa Pi, of which the Newark College chapter became the Alpha Chapter. On May 23, 1926, Alpha Kappa Pi held its first "National Convention" at the Clendenin Hotel, New York City. The chapter house in the 1930's was at 112 Bleaker Street.
In 1946, with the merger between Alpha Sigma Phi and Alpha Kappa Pi, the chapter was re-chartered as Alpha Rho of Alpha Sigma Phi. The chapter house was at 119 Warren Street. Alpha Rho Chapter became inactive in 1952 due to enrollment declines resulting from the military mobilization for the Korean War.
In 1981 an interest group formed which was colonized on March 21, 1981. Grand Secretary Evin Varner, Presbyterian '58, and Grand Senior President Richard Gibbs, Oklahoma '51, presented the colony certificate. Neale Bedrock, NJIT '82, was a leader of the reactivation effort. The chapter was re-chartered in January 1982. Initiation of the charter members was performed at the Alpha Tau Chapter house. A house at 273 High Street, Newark, was obtained. The chapter won the IFSC Talent Show in 1985-86 and 1986-87. From 1990 until about 1998 the chapter was located at 184 Warren Street. In the late 1990s the housing corporation purchased a chapter house at 267 Martin Luther King Blvd.
In Spring 2006 the chapter spent spring break assisting FEMA clean up 2005 hurricane damage in the New Orleans Area. The chapter issues a newsletter titled "The Beacon." William Kevin Gates, NJIT '87, served as Undergraduate Advisor to the Grand council on 1991-92
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.