Beta Zeta Chapter
North Carolina State University
Founded: May 26, 1930
Re-chartered: February 18, 1978; October 21, 2006
President - Thomas McNichols
Director - Tristin Sweeney
Director - Thomas Doman
Advisor - Brett Chapman
President - Chris Long
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - [2011, 2010]
Delta Beta Xi
Dyer, Richard C. '86 
North Carolina State University was established by legislation passed on March 7, 1887. Sigma Delta local was founded by eight men on December 4, 1920. The fraternity received IFC recognition in 1922. In Spring 1926 the group petitioned Phi Pi Phi for a charter, and on April 29, 1927, it became Xi Chapter of Phi Pi Phi. From 1926 to 1931 the chapter had a house at 10 Enterprise Street.
In 1931 the chapter moved to 219 Forest Road. In the mid 1930's the chapter closed due to low membership and financial difficulties during the Great Depression.
In the early Fall of 1929 the Alpha Club was organized by Albert Bennett, NJIT '28, with the purpose of seeking a charter from Alpha Kappa Pi. That goal was reached on May 26, 1930. The chapter was successful for a time, winning the IFC scholarship cup in 1933, but only six members returned to school in the Fall of 1941. Operations were suspended early in the War. The Chapter was re-designated Beta Zeta of Alpha Sigma Phi in 1946. In 1949 efforts were made to revive the chapter. Two members were initiated, but the effort failed.
In 1974 efforts again began to revive Beta Zeta. Gary Gourley was an early leader in the group. The colony established scholarship awards: the Myhlon Ayock Award, named in honor of the Gamma Lambda alumnus who served as the colony's advisor, and the David Whitehead Award, named in honor of a 1936 initiate. The former was for the undergraduate with the highest grade point average and the latter for the undergraduate with the most improved grade point average. On March 19, 1976, the group was recognized as a colony of Alpha Sigma Phi, and on February 18, 1978, Beta Zeta was re-chartered. George Lord, Ohio Wesleyan '61, and Gary Anderson, Westminster '73, presented the charter and made the installation. Ironically, the chapter returned to 10 Enterprise Street, the former chapter house of Xi Chapter of Phi Pi Phi.
The chapter newsletter was "The State of Beta Zeta". The Beta Zeta Alumni Corporation has also published a newsletter, the "BZAC Newsletter", from time to time. After several, years of sound operations, lack of progress toward an adequate sized chapter house began to take a toll on the strength of the organization. The Charter was revoked in 1988.
In April 2004 an interest group was re-established at North Carolina State University. The group grew to 39 members by March 2006. IFC recognition was obtained, and the group was considering leasing a house in the University's Greek Village. After seeing their membership drop to less than five, the group rebounded and grew to nearly 30 strong -- with much credit going to Tim Anzenberger, George Wood and Evan Rowe for sticking with their initial goal of restarting the Beta Zeta Chapter. Colony status was conferred on the group on April 23, 2006; alumni and members of the College of Charleston colony presented the pledge ceremony. A petition for chartering approved in August 2006.
The chapter was re-chartered on October 21, 2006. Grand Marshal Bernie Schulz, Radford '89, presented the charter; CEO Drew Thawley, Ohio Wesleyan '94 represented the Fraternity's staff. Undergraduates from Alpha Tau, Alpha Psi, Delta Zeta, and Epsilon Rho assisted with the initiations.
Jeff Hoffman, Member-at-Large '75; Wes Nobles, NC State '76, and Brian Lilly, NC State '78, have won Frank F. Hargear Awards in 1978, 1979, and 1981 respectively. Hoffman served on the Fraternity staff, is Editor of the Tomahawk, and served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi, including terms as Grand Junior President and Grand Treasurer. In 2012, Brother Hoffman was elected to serve again on the Grand Council.
The Beta Zeta Chapter was suspended in the fall of 2013. Fraternity Headquarters negotiated a return date with the University for 2015. The chapter was officially re-organized April 9, 2016.
The Beta Zeta Colony at North Carolina State was re-started in the Fall of 2015 by Matt Weido, San Jose State '13. The colony initiated 47 men in their first semester and was led by Jay Grothause, Bowling Green '10. The initiation was assisted by undergraduate men from UNC - Charlotte, GCA Brett Chapman, Grand Valley '07, and Membership Education Advisor Chad Baker, Radford '98. The founding President was Tristin Sweeney, NC State '15.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.