Delta Beta Chapter
Northern Michigan University
Founded: May 3, 1969 Re-chartered: November 4, 2006
Ideal Chapter Size: 30
President - Hunter Ihrig
Director - Cameron McDonnell
Director - Ryan Broemer
Advisor - John Kendall
President - Charles Al-Dairy
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - 2010
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - 2016
Northern State Normal School was established in 1899. In the 1950's and 60's the curriculum was diversified and the school attained university status in 1963. By 2005 the University enrolled over 8,600 students and claimed approximately 43,000 alumni.
Several members of Delta Omega Nu, a local fraternity, wished to affiliate with a national fraternity and left their organization. They formed a club which became Alpha Sigma in May 1968. John Showerman, Northern Michigan '69, was among the leaders of the club, and attended the 1968 National Convention of Alpha Sigma Phi. The group submitted a petition which was accepted and the chapter was chartered with 42 members as Delta Beta of Alpha Sigma Phi on May 3, 1969. Grand Councilor Robert Allen, Purdue '43, and Executive Secretary Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, attended the installation. John Showerman, Northern Michigan '69, was the first president of the chapter and served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi. The chapter won Summa Cum Laude Awards for 1968-69, and 1969-70. After a brief decline, the chapter ceased operations in 1984-85; the charter was revoked in August 1985.
A interest group was formed by Scott Mental and four other men at Northern Michigan University in January 2004. Fraternity staff member Albie Bell, Michigan '98, assisted with the development of the group. By Spring 2006, the group had grown to 28 members, the second largest fraternity on campus at the time. Under 2% of the undergraduate students were members of the three other fraternities and four sororities on the campus in 2005. Gus Rydholm was appointed Grand Chapter Advisor to the colony.
Re-chartering was approved and the Ceremony was held on November 4, 2006. Grand Councilor Mike Young, Murray State '94, presented the charter. Undergraduates from Delta Rho, Delta Chi, and Epsilon Rho assisted in the initiation of the 28 charter members. Over 15 alumni of the earlier chapter were present for the re-chartering. A chapter alumni association was formed in May 2009, marking the 40th anniversary of the original chartering. The chapter won the Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup Award for 2010, the Manigault Award for Outstanding Ritual Exemplification for 2009, the Service Award for 2006, Summa Cum Laude Awards for 1970, 1969, 1968, 1967, and 1966 and the Tomahawk Awards for 1969 and 1968.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.