Gamma Alpha Chapter
Ohio Northern University
Founded: January 17, 1942
Grand Senior President's Cup - 
Most Improved Chapter - 
Delta Beta Xi
Smull, Dr. Thomas J. '42 
Spellman, Von '55 
Stahl, James O. '53 
Van Dyne, J. Randy '72 
Ohio Northern University was founded in 1871. Gamma Alpha Chapter is a descendant of the first national fraternity chapter established at Ohio Northern. In 1903 Omicron Omicron Chapter of Theta Nu Epsilon was established by the mother chapter of Theta Nu Epsilon at Wesleyan. Among the charter members was Dr. Thomas J. Smull, Ohio Northern '42. Theta Nu Epsilon at the time did not require exclusivity of membership, had no central office or alumni supervisory board, and was disreputable in its operations at some chapters. In 1905 the undergraduate members of the chapter discovered the poor reputation of Theta Nu Epsilon. After this discovery, most of Omicron Omicron members bolted and took a charter from Sigma Phi Epsilon. The rest of the Omicron Omicron Chapter members continued an operation which was neither sanctioned by the school nor by the Theta Nu Epsilon Fraternity. Gradually the members regained recognition and when Theta Nu Epsilon reorganized in 1923 and began to eliminate clandestine groups operating in its name, recognition of Omicron Omicron was restored. Von Spellman, Ohio Northern '55, and Francis L. Ault, '24, Ohio Northern '55, were loyal advisors to the chapter under three fraternities.
Theta Nu Epsilon' reforms reduced its chapter roll from fifty chapters and unauthorized groups to sixteen chapters. The abrupt change in direction, and the limited time between the reorganization and the onset of the Great Depression, presented a challenge Theta Nu Epsilon was unable to meet. By 1939, there remained five active chapters of Theta Nu Epsilon. They were located at Union (1874), Rensellaer (1884), New York University (1889), Penn State (1888), and Ohio Northern (1903). In 1940 the Penn State and N.Y.U Chapters of Theta Nu Epsilon became inactive and the Rensellaer Chapter petitioned for and was granted a charter as Alpha Kappa of Alpha Kappa Pi. For approximately a year after the break up of the old fraternity, the Ohio Northern Chapter functioned as a local. With the growing threat of war, in the Fall of 1941, Omicron Omicron of Theta Nu Epsilon at Ohio Northern petitioned for a charter in Alpha Kappa Pi. Its members were pledged on December 2, 1941, and the chapter was installed as Alpha Lambda Chapter of Alpha Kappa Pi on January 16-17, 1942. The chapter became dormant during World War II, and was revived as Gamma Alpha of Alpha Sigma Phi in the Fall of 1947 through the efforts of brother William Jacobs, Ohio Northern '46.
The chapter obtained a house at 603 South Main Street, Ada, Ohio. 46 members were initiated in the Spring of 1948. The chapter had long strings of years winning the campus intramural "All Sports Trophy". A housing corporation called The Triangular Alumni Association was formed; its name memorializes the three fraternities, Theta Nu Epsilon, Alpha Kappa Pi, and Alpha Sigma Phi, whose alumni in 1951 moved into a larger house at 503 South Gilbert Street. In 1968 the chapter moved from South Gilbert to a new house on the University's Fraternity Circle.
The chapter received the Grand Senior President's Award for 1962-1964, the Alpha Gamma Upsilon Award for 1970-1972, Tomahawk Awards for 1983-84 and 1982-83, and a number of scholarship awards in the early to mid 1960's.
Gary P. McAnaney, Ohio Northern '58, served on the Fraternity staff. Dr. Thomas J. Smull, Ohio Northern '42, Von Spellman, Ohio Northern '55, James O. Stahl, Ohio Northern '53, and Randy Van Dyne, Ohio Northern '72, have received the Delta Beta Xi Award. The chapter newsletter is the "Red Barn Burner". The chapter initiated 824 members through May 1993.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.