Ohio Wesleyan - Swogger Scholarship
Established: January 28, 2000
Official Name: Ohio Wesleyan University - Swogger Scholarship Fund
Benefactor: Ohio Wesleyan University (Epsilon)
Permanently Restricted Endowment Corpus: $20,420.50 (7/1/17)
Spendable Balance: $8,343.05 (7/1/17)
2017 Annual Statement
History of Endowment
This endowment was created to provide academic and/or needs based scholarships.
The Alpha Sigma Phi Foundation reviews each endowment fund annually and makes available a percentage of the fair market value of the Fund's assets to be distributed during the subsequent year, which is presently four and one-half percent (4.5%) of the rolling five-year average of the market value of the endowment at the end of the previous fiscal year.
Distributions will be used only for purposes consistent with the Foundation's tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code as determined by the Foundation.
Selection of recipients will be determined by the Fraternity Headquarters staff or a Scholarship Committee appointed by the Fraternity President & CEO.
The Endowment's distributions shall be utilized exclusively for the following purposes:
To provide funds for academic and/or needs based scholarships (partial or full) for qualified members currently enrolled as full-time undergraduate or graduate students.
Three scholarships are offered under this fund:
Ralph F. Burns Memorial Scholarship
Given in memory of Epsilon Brother, Ralph F. Burns. It shall be awarded to the incoming Senior who during his undergraduate years in Alpha Sigma Phi, exemplified the same dedication and love for the Fraternity that Ralph Burns had.
- Incoming Senior by credits (23 Credits by OWU standards)
- Attendance at a National program other than the Ralph F. Burns Leadership Institute
- Written recommendation by an Alumni Brother of the Epsilon Chapter
- Submit a written essay on the following question: "How has Alpha Sigma Phi and the Epsilon Chapter had a positive impact on you?"
The B.O.S.S. Scholarship
Given in commemoration of B.O.S.S., the group that brought the Epsilon Chapter back to Ohio Wesleyan University. This award is given to the incoming Junior who has been a strong leader in the Chapter, helping to instill those values in others which both our Founders and B.O.S.S. Founders thought were so important for the positive development of the college undergraduate.
- Incoming Junior by credits (15 Credits by OWU standards)
- Held an elected or appointed position in the Chapter
- Minimum G.P.A. of 3.25
- Involved in another campus organization (documentation required)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Written recommendation by a Prudential Member of the Epsilon Chapter
- Submit a written essay on the following questions: "How have you, as a member of the Epsilon Chapter, tried to instill the values of Alpha Sigma Phi in your fellow Brothers? How will you continue to do so during the rest of your time as an undergraduate in the Epsilon Chapter?"
The 1863 Award
Given in memory of the Founders of the Epsilon Chapter, who came together in 1863 in the pursuit of true Brotherhood. This award shall be given to the Pledge, or two Pledges, who might not have been able to join Alpha Sigma Phi without this financial assistance. The award winner(s) should also show great potential for leadership within the Fraternity.
- Shall be a pledge of Alpha Sigma Phi
- Shall have demonstrated a serious financial need
- Minimum G.P.A. of 3.0
- Involved in at least one other campus organization
- Written recommendation by New Member Educator
- Submit a written essay on the following question: "What do you hope to gain from joining Alpha Sigma Phi?"