Ohio Wesleyan University
Founded: June 19, 1863 Re-chartered: May 24, 1913; April 24, 1993
Ideal Chapter Size: 50
President - Thomas Dolan
Director - Mac Naughton
Director - William Ashburn
Advisor - Richard Jackson
President - Scott F. Gallagher, M.D.
The Quill - Spring 2017
The Quill - Fall 2016
The Quill - Spring 2016
Grand Senior Presidents Cup
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup
Undergraduate Hall of Fame
Frank F. Hargear Memorial
W. Jamie O'Brien
Evin Varner Distinguished Service
Dr. Larry Spees
Dr. Robert Wells
The Epsilon Charter was granted on June 6, 1863, to Lyman Strong, Marietta 1860, and friends at Delaware College, now Ohio Wesleyan University. 16 members were initiated by the old chapter. The stresses and uncertainty of the Civil War led the members to seek security by combining with the members of Sigma Chi in the latter organization. Old Epsilon became inactive in 1864.
In 1913 the petition of 12 members of the Ohio Wesleyan Union was approved and Epsilon was re-chartered on May 24, 1913. The chapter's first house was located at 110 Franklin Street, Delaware. In 1918 the chapter moved to temporary quarters at 123 Oak Street, and work undertaken to form a house corporation. In 1920 the chapter purchased the "Old Manse" at 121 Washington Street. The old Manse was Epsilon's home until 1966.
In 1967 the chapter moved into a new house on campus on Williams Drive. The chapter became inactive in 1971, and low enrollment at the University hindered attempts to revive it. The chapter newsletter was "Epsilon Quill".
An interest group known as B.O.S.S. formed on the campus in the April 1991. In May 1991, three members of the original group graduated. In Fall 1991 five freshmen were recruited and Rich Ritter, a transfer student from University of Toledo, and an initiate of Beta Rho Chapter joined the group. The group grew to 37 members in the Fall of 1992, and submitted a petition for re-chartering in January 1993. The group met conditions set down by the University's Greek affairs office, but a change of personnel in that office led the University to withhold approval for chartering the group. Given the quality and record of the petitioners and group, an exception was authorized by the Grand Council and the petition for charter approved.
The installation and re-chartering of Epsilon Chapter took place on April 24, 1993. Past Grand Senior President George Lord, Ohio Wesleyan '61, was keynote speaker; Executive Secretary Emeritus Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, spoke, and Grand Secretary Larry Spees, Ohio Wesleyan '57, was master of ceremonies. Richard Jackson, Ohio Wesleyan '50, was elected chapter alumni association president. In 1996 the chapter rented part of a duplex behind the Beeghley Library. In 1998 Richard Jackson, Ohio Wesleyan '50, purchased, furnished, and from 1998 to 2001 leased to the chapter a house accommodating five men across from the Hamilton Williams Campus Center. In 2001 the chapter moved to its current on-campus chapter house at 9 Williams Drive, Delaware, Ohio.
Epsilon Chapter has won the Grand Senior President's ward in 2006 and 2004, the Alpha Gamma Upsilon and Service Awards in 2000, an Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup in 2010, and Gary Anderson Membership Education Awards in 2003, 1997, and 1995. Epsilon Chapter won Alpha Sigma Phi Scholarship Awards in 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1996, and 1994. Epsilon Chapter also received the NIC Award of Distinction in 2006.
W. Jamie O'Brien, Ohio Wesleyan '99, Jeffrey Sindelar, Jr., Ohio Wesleyan '01, and Chris Musbach, Ohio Wesleyan '02, won the 2002, 2003, and 2005 Frank F. Hargear Awards. Robert P. Fryer, Ohio Wesleyan '93, and Adam Yeates, Ohio Wesleyan '95, were Alpha Sigma Phi Scholars of the Year in 1993 and 1997, respectively. Benjamin W. Hill, Ohio Wesleyan '00, and Stephen Baker, Ohio Wesleyan '95 won Kleinoeder Graduate Scholarship in 2004 and 1999.
In terms of contributions to Alpha Sigma Phi and distinction in life following graduation, the alumni of Epsilon Chapter are second to none. Epsilon alumnus "Mister Alpha Sig", Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, is known by more "Alpha Sigs" than any other alumnus, having served the fraternity as Executive Secretary of the Fraternity for forty years and as Secretary of the Educational Foundation Trustees for over twelve more years. Seven initiates of Epsilon have served on the Grand Council, and three have served as editors of the Tomahawk. Among the seven were Donald J. Hornberger, Ohio Wesleyan '25, who served as Grand Senior President of Alpha Sigma Phi from 1960 to 1962, George Lord, Ohio Wesleyan '61, who served as Grand Senior President from 1976 to 1978 and Richard Ritter, Ohio Wesleyan "93 who served as Grand Senior President from 2008-2012. Dr. Larry Spees, Ohio Wesleyan '57, served two terms on the Grand Council, served as a Trustee of the Foundation, and also served for 25 years as Grand Chapter Advisor to Delta Epsilon Chapter at University of Rio Grande. Brothers Richard L. Jackson, Ohio Wesleyan '50, Larry Spees, Ohio Wesleyan '57, Donald Hornberger, Ohio Wesleyan '25, and Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, have received the Evin C. Varner Distinguished Service Award of Alpha Sigma Phi. Arthur S. Flemming, Ohio Wesleyan '27; Charles M. Beeghly, Ohio Wesleyan '27; Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, and Dr. Robert D. Wells, Ohio Wesleyan '57, have received the Distinguished Merit Award.
Drew Thawley, Ohio Wesleyan '94, served as President and CEO of the Fraternity for 3 1/2 years and is President and CEO of the Foundation. Ralph F. Burns' service has been noted, above, and the National Headquarters Building is named in his honor. Denis Beaudoin, Ohio Wesleyan '01, Jeremy Horne, Ohio Wesleyan '08, Adam Koorn, Ohio Wesleyan 08, Nick Hudson-Swogger, Ohio Wesleyan '96 , and C. E. Dusty Dilley, Ohio Wesleyan '2, have also served on the Fraternity Staff. 16 alumni of the chapter have received the Delta Beta Xi Award.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.