Alpha Pi Chapter
Founded: October 21, 1939
Ideal Chapter Size: 85
Conduct Violations: Risk Management, 2013; Re-Organization, 2014
President - Jacob Ratkay
Vice President - Phillip Brunner
Recruitment Director - Joel Donnelly
Alumni Director - Kyle McCormick
Grand Chapter Advisor - Josh Russell
Alumni Association President - None
Grand Senior President's Cup -1974
Grand Senior President's Cup -1972
Kleinoder Graduate Scholarship -2009 -Jason Valentine
Evin Varner Distinguished Service -1986 -Stan Miller
Evin Varner Distinguished Service -1976 -Buford Buyers
The Grapevine - Chapter Newsletter
Purdue University was founded in 1869 and its first class graduated in 1874. The Euphemian Club, initially known as Phi Beta Epsilon, was organized by five students at Purdue University in the fall of 1926, and recognized by the University on October 27, 1927. It changed its objective from being an honorary association to a social fraternity in January 1928. Louis Neubacher was an early leader of the organization. The Euphemian Club was chartered as Phi Chapter of Phi Pi Phi on May 17, 1930. On October 21, 1939, Phi Chapter of Phi Pi Phi became Alpha Pi of Alpha Sigma Phi with 45 charter initiates.
The first club house was on Vine Street. The chapter house from 1929 until the mid 1960's was located at 218 Waldron Street. Von Roy Daugherty, Purdue '39, was President of the Purdue Alumni Corporation, and kept the chapter alive through World War II. The chapter headed the drive for a uniform national new member manual in 1948, and William Holmes, Purdue '44, led the committee that drafted the manual. In October 1950, the mortgage on the Waldron Street house was satisfied and burned. In the late 1950's a need for larger quarters was apparent, and the housing corporation bought an adjoining lot to the 218 Waldron house at 220 Waldron Street.
In 1963 Alpha Sigma Phi was one of 12 "Greek Letter" groups allocated a lot on a new Fraternity row on campus. The chapter launched a building program and broke ground on a new chapter house on October 8, 1965. Alpha Pi Chapter moved into its present house at 951 David Ross Road, Lafayette, Indiana, on September 4, 1966.
The Chapter won the Grand Senior President's Award for 1970-1972 and again for 1972-1974. Alpha Pi also won the National Province Leadership Award for 1966-1967. The newsletter, The Grapevine, won Chapter Newsletter Awards in 1981, 1972 and 1973. The chapter won the Tomahawk Award in 1990. Alpha Pi Chapter won the Service Award for 1976-78.
Stan N. Miller, Purdue '64, and Donald R. Morgan, Purdue '57, have served as Grand Senior Presidents of Alpha Sigma Phi. Robert A. Allen, Purdue '43, Greg Sinise, Purdue '70, and Ronald Dollens, Purdue '65, have also served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi. Greg Sinise has over 40 years of service as a volunteer on the Alpha Pi housing corporation board and also a Grand Chapter Advisor. In 2015, he retired as leaders of the board and continues to offer advice in an advisory role to the board and chapter. John Kauffman, Purdue '43, served as Trustee and Chairman of the Alpha Sigma Phi Educational Foundation, and won the 1992 Distinguished Merit Award. Stephen R. Crook, Purdue '82, was Alpha Sigma Phi Scholar of the Year in 1984. William Holmes, Purdue '44, served as editor of the Tomahawk from 1953 to 1957, and as alumni secretary on the Fraternity staff. Buford Byers, Purdue '49, and Stan Miller, Purdue '64, have received the Distinguished Service Award. Jason Valentine, Purdue '01 received a Kleinoder Scholarship in 2009, and the Delta Beta Xi. Seventeen alumni of the chapter have received the Delta Beta Xi Award. Dallas Montgomery, Purdue '04 served on staff from 2008-2009 and Alex Bauer, Purdue '05, served on Fraternity Staff from 2007-2012.
After years of declining membership, risk management concerns, and poor academic performance, Alpha Pi alumni contacted Fraternity Headquarters about a re-start. With approval from the alumni and University, Fraternity staff member Seth Melchor, Bowling Green '10 led a re-start effort during the fall of 2014. Alpha Pi initiated 49 men on November 9, 2014 into the Mystic Circle and has once again re-joined the ranks of an active chapter in good standing of Alpha Sigma Phi.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.