Ensuring the Health and Safety of Members
Alpha Sigma Phi is a proud sponsor of the Hazing Hotline.
The following is the Fraternity's Risk Management Policy. Questions about these policies should be directed to Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters at email@example.com.
Note: Chapters/officers are only covered by our Liability Insurance Policy if the Risk Management policy is followed. Chapters may be granted amnesty for risk management policy violations if they follow the Amnesty Policy.
ALCOHOL AND DRUGS
- Alcoholic beverages may not be purchased through or with chapter funds nor may the purchase of same for members or guests be undertaken or coordinated by any member in the name of, or on behalf of, the chapter. The purchase or use of a bulk quantity or common source(s) of alcoholic beverages, for example, kegs or cases, is prohibited.
- OPEN PARTIES, meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members of the fraternity, without specific invitation, where alcohol is present, are prohibited.
- No members, collectively or individually, shall purchase for, serve to, or sell alcoholic beverages to any minor (i.e., those under legal drinking age).
- The possession, sale, or use of any ILLEGAL DRUGS or CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES while on chapter premises or during a fraternity event or at any event that an observer would associate with the fraternity is strictly prohibited.
- No chapter may co-sponsor an event with an alcohol distributor, charitable organization, or tavern (tavern defined as an establishment generating more than half of annual gross sales from alcohol) where alcohol is given away, sold, or otherwise provided to those present. This includes any event held in, at, or on the property of a tavern as defined above for the purposes of fundraising. A chapter may rent or use a room or area in a tavern as defined above for an event held within the provisions of this policy, including the use of a third party vendor and guest list.
- No chapter may co-sponsor or co-finance or attend or participate in a function where alcohol is purchased by any of the host chapters, groups, or organizations.
- All recruitment or rush activities associated with any chapter will be nonalcoholic. No recruitment or rush activities associated with any chapter may be held at or in conjunction with an alcohol distributor or tavern as defined in this policy.
- No member or pledge/associate/new member/novice shall permit, tolerate, encourage, or participate in drinking games.
- No alcohol shall be present at any pledge/associate/new member/novice program, activity, or ritual of the chapter. This includes, but is not limited to activities associated with bid night "big brother - little brother events or activities, "big sister “ little sister" events or activities, "family" events or activities, and initiation.
No chapter, provisional chapter, student, or alumnus shall conduct nor condone hazing activities. Permission or approval by a person being hazed is not a defense. Hazing activities are defined as: Any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off fraternity premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Such activities may include but are not limited to the following: use of alcohol; paddling in any form; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks; quests, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, road trips or any other such activities carried on outside or inside the confines of the chapter house; wearing of public apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste; engaging in public stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; and any other activities which are not consistent with academic achievement, fraternal law, ritual or policy, or the regulations and policies of the educational institution, or applicable state law.
SEXUAL ABUSE AND HARASSMENT
The Fraternity will not tolerate or condone any form of sexist or sexually abusive behavior on the part of its members, whether physical, mental or emotional. This is to include any actions, activities, or events, whether on chapter premises or an off-site location which are demeaning to women or men, including but not limited to verbal harassment, sexual assault by individuals or members acting together. The employment or use of strippers, exotic dancers, or similar, whether professional or amateur, at a fraternity event as defined in this policy is prohibited.
FIRE, HEALTH, AND SAFETY
- All chapter houses should meet all local fire and health codes and standards.
- All chapters should have posted by common phones and in other locations emergency numbers for fire, police, and ambulance and should have posted evacuation routes on the back of the door of each sleeping room.
- All chapters should comply with engineering recommendations as reported by the insurance company or municipal authorities.
- The possession and/or use of firearms or explosive or incendiary devices of any kind within the confines and premises of the chapter house are expressly forbidden.