Beta Theta Chapter
Founded: March 28, 1931; September 16, 2006
Ideal Chapter Size: 65
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - [2014, 2011]
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - [2016, 2015, 2012]
Individual Awards Awards
Dr. Otto L. Sonder Chapter Advisor of the Year
Alexander, George C. '67 
Evin C. Varner Distinguished Service Award
Kramer, C. Russell '31 
Delta Beta Xi
Kidd, Howard W. '54 
Kramer, C. Russell '31 
Kunigonis, Joseph '71 
MacKenzie, G. Donald '55 
Speert, Mitchell S. '87 
Sweetwood, Paul C. '75 
Wheaton, Nelson '31 
Undergraduate Scholar of the Year
Kramer, Mark D. '78 
Bausch, James N. '70 
Rutgers University originated as Queen's College in 1766. It became the land grant college of New Jersey.
Phi Lambda Delta was organized in 1926 and it was later known as Phi Lambda Sigma. It initiated as a faculty advisor Dr. Charles Conners, a member of a defunct local fraternity known as The Collegiate Brotherhood. Through Conners' influence, members of the older local, which had been active from 1892 to 1906, were taken into membership in Phi Lambda Sigma in 1929. Phi lambda Sigma was chartered with 32 undergraduate and 23 (of 77 alumni) members in the initial initiation on March 27-28, 1931. At the time of its installation as Rho of Alpha Kappa Pi in 1931, the Chapter had a house at 26 Union Street, New Brunswick, New Jersey. It was remodeled to accommodate 24 members. Alpha Kappa Pi's first father-son legacy was Strassberger, Rutgers '35, son of Strassberger, Col. Bro. '03, Rutgers '31.
With the end of World War II and the merger of Alpha Kappa Pi and Alpha Sigma Phi, the Chapter was re-designated as the Beta Theta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi and moved into new quarters at 40 Hardenbergh Street.
In 1955, the Chapter purchased a new house at 106 College Avenue and remodeled by the Brothers to double its residential capacity. The major undertaking was known as "30 Weeks with 30 Greeks."
The Beta Theta newsletter, "Alpha Sig Triangle," won the Chapter Newsletter Award in 1964. The Chapter won the Academic Achievement Award for 1990, and received the Greek Life Advisory Board #1 ranking from Rutgers in 1992.
In 1995, the Chapter was placed on probation by the University, and in 1998, the charter was withdrawn. The chapter initiated 1030 members prior to its suspension.
Reorganization commenced in January of 2001. The group progressed slowly and membership reached 30 by the spring of 2006. Grades improved in 2005-2006, with the cumulative grade point average reaching 2.66 in March. In April 2006, a petition for re-chartering was approved. The Chapter was re-chartered on September 16, 2006. Grand Councilor Tilden, Binghamton '93, presented the charter; Dan Duncan, Ohio State '00, and Ryan Brown, Coastal Carolina '94, represented Fraternity Staff.
C. Russell Kramer, Rutgers '31, served as National President of Alpha Kappa Pi, and has received the Distinguished Service Award of Alpha Sigma Phi. Michael Hovermann, Rutgers '93, served on Fraternity Staff.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/provisional chapter before they are submitted for consideration.