Gamma Nu Chapter
California State University, Sacramento
Founded: May 28, 1961
Delta Beta Xi Award
Paschal L. Monk, Sacramento '60 
Sacramento State College was founded in June 1947. Until 1953, the college operated on the campus of Sacramento City College.
Kappa Sigma Kappa was the pioneer fraternity at Sacramento State College in 1947. By 1955, the name had been changed to Kappa Sigma Phi, and chartering in Alpha Sigma Phi was sought. The group was assisted by the Sacramento Alumni Council. In 1960 the college administration decided to allow national fraternities, and the local was recognized as a colony of Alpha Sigma Phi. Six members of the colony and two faculty members were initiated at Tau Chapter in May 1960. Eighteen men signed the petition for charter, among them were Wallis Clark, President of the Associated Students, and Fred Lizalde, varsity football center. The local became Gamma Nu Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi in installation ceremonies on May 28, 1961. Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan '32, installed the chapter and a six man team from Psi Chapter conducted the initiation. Dr. Guy West, President of Sacramento State College was the keynote speaker at the installation banquet, and Grand Province Chief Charles R. Sturgis, UCLA '43, presented the charter. Grand Junior President Dallas Donnan, Illinois '23, and past Grand Senior President Emmet Hayes presented toasts at the banquet. George Shurr, Minnesota '18, and Paul Riddle, Miami '52, with faculty advisor Paschel Monk, Sacramento '60, directed incorporation of the Alpha Sigma Phi Corporation of Sacramento in Spring 1962. Joe Mehrten, Sacramento '61, was the first Chapter President. At the time of installation, the chapter claimed 160 alumni. Dr. Paschel Monk, Sacramento '61 was faculty advisor to Kappa Sigma Phi and Gamma Nu Chapter from 1951 to 1972, and received the Delta Beta Xi Award. In 2008, the Gamma Nu housing corporation donated its remaining capital to Sacramento State University for a scholarship in Dr. Monk's name.
A house was obtained at 1903 "S" Street. After four years the chapter moved to 1960 Twenty-First Street in Sacramento. With the onset of the Vietnam War, membership declined and the house was lost. In 1971, the chapter consisted of veterans who found it difficult to recruit incoming high school graduates and the chapter closed. The roster contains 149 names. The chapter newsletter was "Siggy Raider."
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.