University of California, Berkeley
Founded: February 1, 1913 February 27, 1982
Ideal Chapter Size: 75
President - Marcus Lee
Vice President - Andrew Blatner
Recruitment Director - Luis Araiza
Alumni Director - Nathan Mayer
Grand Chapter Advisor - Courtney Wang
Association President - None
The College of California was founded in 1860. When the Morrill Land Grant College Act was passed, the college offered its assets to the state if the legislature would charter a comprehensive university instead of an agricultural and mechanical institution. The offer was accepted and the University opened in 1868. Martin Kellogg, Alpha 1847, past editor of the Yale Tomahawk was one of the first four faculty members appointed to the new university. He became dean of the faculty, three-time Acting President of the University and President of the University from 1890 to 1899. Daniel Coit Gilman, Alpha 1854, served as President of the University of California from 1872 to 1875; Gilman then accepted the inaugural presidency of Johns Hopkins University.
In 1901, a group of students came together as an eating club on the Cal Campus, and by 1904 this group coalesced into a local fraternity, the Atherton Club. In November 1912, the members of the Atherton Club petitioned Alpha Sigma Phi for a Charter. The petition was granted, and on February 1, 1913, the chapter was installed by Carl B. Croson, Harvard '11. William Cooper, UC - Berkeley '13, was toastmaster; Hiram Gear, Marietta 1862, and Rev. Frank Brush, Marietta 1875, spoke of the Old Gal; Ed Locher, Atherton Club 07 told the tale of the shaggy dog, and Alfred Soloman, Atherton Club 04, gave the history of the Atherton Club.
Frank Foli Hargear, UC - Berkeley 16, served as Associated Students (ASUC) President, business manager of the college newspaper, and editor-in-chief of the yearbook. As ASUC President, he and his counterpart at Leland Stanford University entered into an agreement allowing resumption of the annual football contest between the schools. The Big Game had been suspended for several years because of a dispute over freshman eligibility. Upon graduation, Hargear led the fund drive for a permanent chapter house built at 2739 Channing Way, Berkeley, California. The chapter used the 2739 Channing Way house from 1920 to 1969. Anti-establishment sentiments arising in response to the unpopular Vietnam War led to closure of the chapter in 1969. Nu Chapter's roster at that time contained 718 names.
In April 1981, Steve Allison, UC - Berkeley '82, and Rob Sheehan, Westminster '76, recruited an interest group which became a colony in May 1981, and was re-chartered by Grand Councilor Edmund Hamburger, NY Polytechnic '45, on February 27, 1982. The colony was housed at Bancroft and Bowditch. In 1983 the chapter moved to its present house at 2498 Piedmont Avenue, Berkeley. The chapter newsletter since 1981 has been "Notissima."
Seven members of the chapter served on the Grand Council or Grand Prudential Committee of Alpha Sigma Phi. William John Cooper, UC - Berkeley '13, served as Grand Senior President from 1932 to 1935. Most recently Brian Thomas served as Undergraduate Grand Councilor, 2008-2010.
Six Nu Chapter alumni have received the Distinguished Service Award: Frank F. Hargear, UC - Berkeley '16, served as Grand Secretary 1923-1925, and 1937-1940, and as Grand Marshal 1950-1958. Hargear is credited with suggesting that Delta Beta Xi be made an alumni service award; he received the Distinguished Service Award in 1965, and the outstanding undergraduate award is named in his honor. Waldemar R. Augustine, UC - Berkeley '22, in 1969; Trusten P. Wadsworth, UC - Berkeley '17, in 1982; Robert W. Kutz, UC - Berkeley '67, in 1994; Milton Morrison, UC - Berkeley '37, in 1997, and Robert Riegg, UC - Berkeley '58, in 2007. Five alumni of the chapter have received the Distinguished Merit Award: Ralph G. Follis, UC - Berkeley '19; Paul L. Davies, UC - Berkeley '19; Austin T. Cushman, UC - Berkeley '21; Miles F. York, UC - Berkeley '19; and Dr. James Mongen, UC - Berkeley '60. Forty-one alumni of the chapter have received the Delta Beta Xi Award. The Delta Beta Xi honorees include Maitland McKenzie, UC - Berkeley '22, Eugene Strugis, UC - Berkeley '13, and Waldemar Augustine, UC - Berkeley '22, who each served as directors and officers of the California Alpha Sigma Phi Association for over fifty years.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.