Alpha Iota Chapter
University of Alabama
Founded: May 3, 1926 Re-Founded: April 11, 2011
Current Status: Active
Ideal Chapter Size: 65
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - 
Alpha Gamma Upsilon - 
Distinguished Service Award
Allen, James B. '30 
Delta Beta Xi
Allen, James B. '30 
Davis, Gordon '30 
Hultquist, Leonard '60 
Lee, Robert W., Jr. '40 
The University of Alabama was endowed with two townships of land in 1818 and 1820, and was officially established in 1820. It opened in 1831 with 52 students. Largely destroyed by the Civil War, it took until 1881-82 for enrollment to equal that of 1860-61 (154 students). By 1921, enrollment grew to 2,134.
Chi Delta Epsilon, established on April 9, 1925, was granted a charter and installed as the Alpha Iota Chapter on May 3, 1930. The chapter was inactive from 1943 to 1948, and the first post-war initiation was conducted in January 1948 with assistance from members of the Sigma Chapter. Don Cronin, Alabama '48, was the first post-war chapter President. The chapter house was located at 513 Twelfth Street, Tuscaloosa. In 1961 the chapter moved from 310 Thomas Street to its new house at 721 Tenth Avenue.
The 721 Tenth Avenue facility was a two story colonial style house accommodating 24 men. The 721 Tenth Avenue house burned on August 23, 1968, during the 1968 National Convention of Alpha Sigma Phi. The chapter operated from temporary quarters at its old 310 Thomas Street house for about a year and a half after the house fire, but the chapter died out in 1970.
The chapter won a Summa Cum Laude Citation for highest academic standing of campus fraternities in 1959-60. Alpha Iota Chapter initiated 342 members until it closed in 1970. Edward J. Madison, Alabama '58, served Alpha Sigma Phi as "Tomahawk" Editor and Administrative Secretary from 1966 to 1969.
An interest group was organized in spring 2000, rekindled with outside help by Assistant Director of Expansion, Matt Humberger, Bowling Green '03. The interest group lost interest over the course of the summer causing staff to launch a full-scale expansion effort in the 2009 fall semester.
Matt Humberger and Josh Franke, Otterbein '06, two Fraternity Staff members, traveled to the University of Alabama in August, 2009. Matt and Josh succeeded in getting enough men interested to gain colony status. The first class of 27 new members participated in the Pledge Ceremony on the night of August 27, 2009. The colonization certificate was presented by Matt Humberger. The colonization was attended by undergraduates of the Delta Tau (Murray State) Chapter, several alumni, and 27 Alabama undergraduate men. The chapter was re-chartered on April 11, 2011. The Fall 2010 new member class had a grade point average of 3.70, and the newly re-chartered chapter won Greek Week that semester.
In celebration of the Fraternity's 150th anniversary Leonard Hultquist, Alabama '60, published A Gentleman From South Carolina, a biography of Louis Manigault.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.