University of Colorado, Boulder
Founded: February 6, 1915 April 7, 2013
Ideal Chapter Size: 80
President - Marcus Van Clief
Recruitment Director - Dallas Vanderheyden
Alumni Director - Alex Greenberg
Grand Chapter Advisor - George Alexander
Association President - Steve Wortmann
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - [2016, 2014]
Distinguished Merit Award
Howsam, Robert L. '38 
Delta Beta Xi
Burgess, Thomas M. '25 
Stubbs, Frank W. 1917 
Vidal, Henri B. '19 
Undergraduate Hall of Fame
Raileanu, Maximilian T. '13 
Stein, Noah B. '13 
Frank F. Hargear Memorial Award
Stein, Noah B. '13 
The University of Colorado was founded five months before Colorado was admitted to the United States in 1876. The legislature concurrently authorized the Colorado School of Mines and Colorado Agricultural College, now Colorado State University. The cornerstone of the building that became Old Main was laid on September 20, 1875. The doors of the university opened on September 5, 1877. Much of the Boulder Campus has building architecture styled by Charles Klauder of rough, textured sandstone walls with sloping, multi-leveled red-tiled roofs and Indiana limestone trim.
The Hillside Club was formed at the University of Colorado in 1905 as a boarding club. In 1908, a number of its members, desiring a more active social organization, formed a local fraternity known as the Sans Souci Club. John L. Stivers, Yale '08, interested the local in Alpha Sigma Phi, and a petition was submitted in 1914. Installation took place on February 5, 1915, at Xi Chapter. There were three early houses before the chapter built a chapter house at 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue in 1927. Financial and membership losses led to relocation in 1939, and the chapter soon became inactive.
After World War II, the chapter was revived in 1949 by Z. E. Smith, IIT '47. It obtained housing at 1052 Twelfth Street. In 1954, the chapter moved to 1125 Pleasant Street, Boulder. The chapter newsletter was "Mile High Sig." The chapter closed in 1957, having initiated 414 members. An interest group formed on the campus led by Randy Pacheco in 1990, but was unable to progress toward a permanent organization.
In the fall of 2011, staff member Geoff McDonald, Hartwick '05, led an expansion effort at the University. McDonald recruited 30 members with the first Pledge Ceremony occurring on October 13, 2011. The group was colonized later the fall and the first Initiation Ceremony was held on February 17, 2012. Over the next year, the colony continued to recruit better men, attending national leadership conferences, and becoming a positive image for Greek Life in the Boulder community. The Pi Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi was officially re-chartered on April 7, 2013.
Hon. Wiley Rutledge, Colorado '15, was the fourth Alpha Sigma Phi to serve on the United States Supreme Court; he served from 1943 to 1949. Three alumni of the chapter served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi. Three alumni of Pi Chapter have received the Delta Beta Xi Award. Robert L. Howsam, Colorado '38, received the Distinguished Merit Award.
The Pi chapter re-charted in the spring of 2013.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.