Beta Eta Chapter
University of New Hampshire
Founded: January 31, 1931 Re-chartered: January 23, 2010
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup -2010
The University of New Hampshire was founded in 1866, and initially operated on the Dartmouth College campus in Hanover, New Hampshire. The campus relocated to Durham, New Hampshire, in 1892.
Delta Pi Epsilon was formed in early 1921 by twelve students. In 1922 they purchased a former tavern (closed by the Eighteenth Amendment, prohibition) in Durham, New Hampshire, for use as a meeting hall. The group was chartered as Pi of Alpha Kappa Pi on January 31, 1931. A house with living quarters was obtained in 1933, but only fifteen members returned in the Fall of 1934. The chapter failed due to financial overhead it was unable to meet during the Depression. 58 members were initiated.
Authorization to establish a colony at University of New Hampshire had been obtained, and re-colonization was planned for 2007. Independently, in 2005 a group of University of New Hampshire undergraduates organized Chi Phi Alpha (CPA) as an alternative to the fraternities active on the campus at the time. It developed over three years, but did not have university recognition. To ensure the longevity of their efforts, the men of CPA sought affiliation with a national fraternity. With the assistance of the university's Greek Life staff, then CPA president, Remzi Kahya, and VP, Doug LaPointe, started an extensive review of national fraternities and chose to explore affiliation with Alpha Sigma Phi. By October 2009, the Colony had been approved to receive the charter of the Beta Eta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi.
More than 50 family members joined dozens of other friends and area Alpha Sig alumni in welcoming the new chapter on January 23, 2010. Grand Marshal John W. Tilden, Binghamton '93, presided over the chartering ceremonies. Past fraternity staff member, Nick Hudson-Swogger, Ohio Wesleyan '96 and Past Grand Senior President Richard A. Dexter, Oregon State '60 also participated in the installation.
The new Beta Eta Chapter promises to leave its mark on Alpha Sigma Phi nationally, as past president Will Frattini, New Hampshire '10, joined the fraternity staff as Coordinator of Chapter Development. Brother Frattini also experienced a special moment as his father Peter, joined the candidates as they were initiated into Alpha Sigma Phi. The chapter currently has a house located at 2 Stafford Avenue, Durham, New Hampshire.
The Beta Eta Chapter closed again in January of 2014 due to failing to meet University expectations. Fraternity HQ has secured a return date for 2015 assuming the chapter meets all obligations.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.