University of Illinois
Founded: June 25, 1908 Re-chartered: 1982
Ideal Chapter Size: 120
President - Daryl Drake
Vice Presideny - Kevin Swikle
Recruitment Director - Thomas Ottolin
Alumni Director - Jack Carlson
Grand Chapter Advisor - John Knittle
Alumni Association President - Steven Labahn
Grand Senior President's Cup -1996
Grand Senior President's Cup -1990
Grand Senior President'sCup- 1988
1995 Frank F. Hargear Award - Nathan Hood
1987 Frank F. Hargear Award - Steve Zizzo
The University of Illinois was established as the land grant university for Illinois in 1867; its undergraduate enrollment exceeds 30,000 in 17 colleges and 150 programs. Its fraternity community is the largest in the United States. 68 fraternities and 36 sororities have a combined undergraduate membership of about 6,700 students. The Eos Club was organized in 1907. It members petitioned Alpha Sigma Phi for a charter, and the petition was approved in May 1908, and the chapter was installed as Eta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi. The early chapter had houses on Green Street, 410 Daniel Street, and 404 E. Daniel Street. In 1927 the chapter completed a house on its lot at 211 Armory, and it has occupied the house since, except for one year in the early 1980's and during a period when the house was rebuilt in 2010-2011. Eta Chapter's newsletter is the "Etagram," formerly known as the "Illini Etagram."
In 1935-36, Eta Chapter initiated several members of the Illinois chapter of a National Fraternity which had disintegrated during the depression. As the central office of this defunct organization had ceased to function, the members had not secured a release from the prior organization. The incident led to suspension of Alpha Sigma Phi by the NIC for one year. After investigation of the chapter's conduct and the state of the prior organization at the time, no fault was found nor discipline imposed on Eta Chapter or the members initiated.
Delta of Phi Pi Phi: In 1923 Iota Phi Theta was chartered as Delta of Phi Pi Phi. It had houses in 1923-24 at 104 E. Green Street and 1925-31 at 305 E. Green Street. In 1933 the chapter moved to 806 W. Green Street, Urbana. It became inactive in about 1936.
Sigma of Alpha Kappa Pi: Kappa Zeta Rho was formed as the Pyramid Club by Marion Lindee and R. R. Goff in May 1926. In the Fall the fraternity rented a house at 906 S. Sixth Street, which accommodated the membership of seventeen. In 1929, the fraternity moved to 309 E. John Street. Lambda Alpha Lambda was formed in November 1926, under the leadership of A. S. Stewart. In February 1927, the group rented a house at 406 Green Street, which accommodated sixteen of the seventeen members, and later acquired a house at 509 E. Chalmers Street, and finally moved to 401 Green Street. Both local fraternities (Kappa Zeta Rho and Lambda Alpha Lambda) petitioned Alpha Kappa Pi, and their combined petitions were accepted.The local fraternities were installed on May 29-30, 1931. In May 1934 the Alpha Kappa Pi chapter moved to 1109 S. Fourth Street. The Depression took its toll on student memberships, and only five members of the Alpha Kappa Pi chapter returned to school in Fall 1934.
Following the merger of Alpha Kappa Pi and Alpha Sigma Phi in 1946, members returned from wartime service to the 211 Armory house. Calvin Sifford, first initiated at the Carthage College chapter of Alpha Kappa Pi led in the post war restoration of Eta Chapter. After a brief period of inactivity, the chapter was re-chartered in 1982. Jim McMahan, IIT '78, and Chuck McCaffrey, Illinois '82, have provided alumni guidance to the chapter for many years.
The Chapter hosted the 1909, 1937, and 1984 Conventions of Alpha Sigma Phi. It won the Grand Senior President's Award in 1996, 1990, and 1988, the Gary Anderson Membership Education Award in 1988, the Scholarship award in 1966.
Nathan Hood, Illinois '92 and Steve Zizzo, Illinois '84, received the Frank F. Hargear Awards in 1995 and 1987. Steve Zizzo, Illinois '84 served in several capacities on the Fraternity staff, including as Executive Vice-President, 1994-97. David K. Leedy, Illinois '85 and James A. Niewara, Illinois '87, were Alpha Sigma Phi Scholars of the Year in 1987 and 1989. Chuck McCaffrey, Illinois '82, Daniel P. Kramer, Illinois '00, received Kleinoeder Graduate Scholarship Awards in 2005 and 2004. John Kim, Illinois '86, Illinois State '87, received the Friends of Rho Scholarship Award in 1987.
Twelve alumni of Eta have served on the Grand Council or Grand Prudential Committee of Alpha Sigma Phi. Dallas Donnan, Illinois '21, and Raymond E. Glos, Illinois '22, served as Grand Senior Presidents of Alpha Sigma Phi from 1964 to 1966 and 1966 to 1968, respectively, and both have been awarded the Evin C. Varner Distinguished Service Award of Alpha Sigma Phi. Joseph P. Lanterman, Illinois '34, and John T. Trutter, Illinois '39, have received the Distinguished Merit Award. Charles Bennis, Illinois '33, was named to the University of Illinois All Century football team. Ray Elliot, Illinois '38, was head coach of the Fighting Illini from 1942 to 1959, compiling an overall 83-73-4 record, winning three Big Ten titles, and two Rose Bowls. The Chapter currently holds the record for the most men initiated since 1907, having initiated over 2,125 men through the Spring of 2008. 27 alumni of the chapter have been awarded the Delta Beta Xi key.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.