Alpha Beta Chapter
University of Iowa
Founded: February 2, 1924; February 18, 2017
Ideal Chapter Size: 75
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - 
Distinguished Merit Award
Reeder, Howard C. '26 
Evin C. Varner Distinguished Service Award
Akre, Charles T. '28 
Delta Beta Xi
Akre, Charles T. '28 
Ingersoll, T. M. '24 
The University of Iowa was founded in 1847 and opened with 140 students in the spring of 1855. The initial campus building was the former territorial capitol building.
Delta Kappa Gamma was organized in 1920, and following the granting of its charter as the Alpha Beta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi, was installed on February 2, 1924. Alpha Beta became the seventh Alpha Sigma Phi chapter at a Western or "Big Ten" Conference university. The Chapter was located at 603 E. College Street until 1928, when it moved to its house at 109 River Street. The 109 River Street house is a noteworthy example of fraternity architecture.
The Chapter led campus fraternities in academic performance in 1928-30 and unfortunately it closed closed in 1940. The Chapter initiated 239 members.
In 1986, an Alpha Beta Colony was established at Iowa. "Alpha Bits," the chapter newsletter, reappeared in 1987. Mark Morton served as Colony President for 1987-88. John Harrison, Iowa '31, took the lead in building support for an alumni corporation. After several new members of the Colony bolted to join another reactivation effort, the Colony ceased operations in 1989. Further revival efforts were made in 2003, but without significant success.
In the fall of 2014, expansion efforts led by Matt Guldberg, Colorado '12, and Cory Ryan, Wake Forest '10, took place at the University of Iowa campus.
Alpha Beta officially rechartered on February 28, 2017. The Ceremony was held at the Old Capital Museum. Undergraduate Grand Councilor Sam Harris, Wayne State '12 and Oakland '13, served as the Keynote Speaker. Special guests in attendance included: Alpha Beta Grand Chapter Advisor Richard Ligo, Westminster '10, and Scott Rarick, Capital '10, represented Fraternity Staff. Joe Payton, Coe '68, was also in attendance along with two undergraduates from Phi Chapter, a few parents and friends of the members. Peter Prach, Iowa '14, was the Re-Founding President.
Charles Akre, Iowa '28, served Alpha Sigma Phi as a Grand Councilor  [1961-62], Grand Junior President [1954-55], Grand Senior President [1956-60] and received the Distinguished Service Award in 1966.
Hon. H. Goodrich, Iowa '24, was President of the American Association of Law Schools and Judge of the U. S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/provisional chapter before they are submitted for consideration.