Sigma Provisional Chapter
University of Kentucky
Founded: January 4, 1917
Status: Provisional Chapter
President - Nick Bischoff
Vice President - Willnard Anderson
Recruitment Director - Adam Lucas
Alumni Director - William Lovan
Grand Chapter Advisor - Addison Price
Alumni Association President - None
The University of Kentucky was founded in 1865 by John Bowman as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky. Original instruction was offered at Ashland, Kentucky, but the institution separated from Kentucky University (now Transylvania University) in 1876 and moved to Lexington in 1878. The university is the state's largest and is the land grant university of the state.
Scroll and Crescent was organized in 1914 and changed its name to Phi Sigma in 1915. The group petitioned Alpha Sigma Phi for a charter which was granted and the chapter was installed by Grand Junior President Wayne M. Musgrave, Yale '07, on January 4, 1917. Sigma's installation dispelled inter-fraternity rumors that Alpha Sigma Phi would not expand into the South. World War I delayed the chapter's efforts to obtain a chapter house.
The first house was at 238 E. Maxwell Street, followed by 218 S. Limestone Street in the Fall of 1920. In the early 1920's, the chapter moved to 211 East Maxwell Street. In 1926 the chapter moved to 433 E. Maxwell Street. From 1935 to 1941 the chapter house was at 314 Transylvania Street. After World War II the chapter house was at 334 South Broadway, followed by 418 East Maxwell, and finally 641 Maxwelton Court. The chapter ceased operations in 1962 after several years of limited membership.
William Brown, Kentucky '18, Dennis Carpenter, Sigma '25, Harry C. Cogswell, Kentucky '27, James T. Mahan, Kentucky '32, and Hugh D. Dillehay, Kentucky '47, have received the Delta Beta Xi Award. The chapter newsletter was known as "Sig Bits." The chapter roster contains 387 names.
The Sigma Colony at Kentucky was re-started in the Spring of 2016 by Kenny Denton, East Carolina '12.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.