University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Founded: June 10, 1854; May 14, 1955; October 12, 1996; May 5, 2013
Ideal Chapter Size: 50
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - [2018, 2017, 2015]
Delta Beta Xi
Burke, Edward J. 1913 
Carpenter, Earle S. '21 
Dresser, Malcolm '25 
Gaskill, Edwin F. 1913 
Goldthwait, Joel E. '21 
Haskell, Sidney B. 1914 
Higgins, Charles H. 1914 
Lindsey, Joseph B. 1913 
Machmer, William L. 1913 
Parker, Sumner R. 1916 
Peters, Charles A. 1913 
Smith, Albert W. '19 
Wheeler, Homer J. 1915 
Undergraduate Hall of Fame
Flanagan, Matt N. '13 
Gamma Alumni Association Newsletter - Spring 2017
Gamma Chapter Newsletter - Fall 2016
The Campus Shakespeare Club (C.S.C.) was organized at Massachusetts Agricultural College in 1879. In 1892, an alumni corporation for the C.S.C. was formed and in 1910 a house was purchased. Dr. C. E. Chapin, C.S.C. '79, Massachusetts 1913, was the chief force in moving the local fraternity to petition Alpha Sigma Phi. The petition for charter was submitted on November 12, 1912.
On February 14, 1913, the members and alumni of the Campus Shakespeare Club were initiated and the Gamma Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi was installed. The Chapter continued until 1942, most of that time at 85 Pleasant Avenue, Amherst, Massachusetts. The use of the Gamma chapter designation was based on the location of both Amherst College and Massachusetts Agricultural College in the same town, Amherst, Massachusetts.
Following World War II, the Chapter was not revived until Delta Phi Gamma was organized in May 1952 and petitioned for a charter. Dr. Charles Peters, C.S.C. 1892, Massachusetts 1913, presented the charge to the Chapter on re-installation on May 14, 1955. For a time, the revived Chapter occupied a house which had earlier been the residence of Robert Frost and Calvin Coolidge. The chapter newsletter was "The Gamma Noumenoun." Unable to recruit successfully during the era of anti-establishment sentiments at the height of the Vietnam War, the Gamma closed in 1971.
Alpha Sigma Phi Expansion Director Todd Harris, California '90, organized an interest group at the University of Massachusetts in January of 1994. The initial group meeting involved seven students and took place in Kennedy Tower in the 19th floor room of Jeff Powell. The interest group grew to 21 men. Their motto was "Do it right and finish it." Nineteen undergraduates and two advisors signed the colonization petition submitted in 1994. The Colony was re-chartered on October 12, 1996. The new chapter found some success for a time. However, a dramatic decrease in membership and inability to meet financial obligations forced closure of the Chapter in the fall of 2000. Gamma Chapter's last initiate class was in February 1999; the Chapter's roster contained 766 initiates names.
Authorization was given for efforts to re-establish the Gamma Chapter. Initially, an effort was scheduled for the fall 2006 semester, but was delayed because five other NIC fraternities were also planning colonization or re-colonization efforts. An interest group was organized during the spring 2010 semester by Fraternity Staff member Jason Hinson-Nolen, Murray State '05, and achieved colony status. The Colony finished the 2010-2011 academic year with fifteen members.
The Colony initially struggled to gain a foothold on campus, but with persistence and under the guidance of staff member Jeremy Ried, Elmhurst '07, the Colony was able to recruit more men, boost their chapter operations and become a strong, positive presence on the campus at Amherst. The Colony petitioned the Grand Council to re-charter in the spring of 2013 and their request was granted. On May 5, 2013, Grand Councilor Mike Waters, Oregon State '73, Fraternity Vice President Matt Humberger, Bowling Green '03, and Foundation President and CEO Drew Thawley, Ohio Wesleyan '94, presented the charter to the members of Gamma Chapter.
Henry E. Chapin, U Mass '13, served Alpha Sigma Phi as Rditor of the Tomahawk from 1915 to 1921.
James Mulligan, U Mass '67, served on the Fraternity staff.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/provisional chapter before they are submitted for consideration.