University of Pennsylvania
Founded: May 16, 1914
Re-Chartered: February 7, 2015
Ideal Chapter Size: 50
President - Graham Jordan
Vice President - Michael Gu
Recruitment Director - Zach Walters
Alumni Director - Mark Paraskevas
Grand Chapter Advisor - Ryan Baumuller
Alumni Association President - None
The University of Pennsylvania was proposed by Benjamin Franklin and was intended from the outset to have a broader scope of instruction that of preparation for Protestant clergymen. It would teach both the ornamental knowledge of the arts and the practical skills necessary for making a living and doing public service. A Board of Trustees was recruited, and in 1755, the College of Philadelphia was chartered, paving the way for undergraduate instruction. The Medical School opened in 1765, making the University the first in America to offer both an undergraduate and a professional education. The Philomathean Society, founded at Penn in 1813, is the United States oldest continuously-existing collegiate literary society. The campus moved from downtown to its present site in West Philadelphia in 1872.
The Comedy Club was organized at the University of Pennsylvania. Seven members of the Club submitted a petition for a charter from Alpha Sigma Phi. The charter members were initiated at New Haven on May 14, 1914, and the chapter was installed on May 16, 1914. In 1920 the chapter house was located at 3617 Locust Street. The chapter was located at 3903 Spruce Street from the early 1920's to 1969. From 1969 to 1972, the chapter was located at 116 S. 40th Street, and from 1972 to 1978 at 3824 Spruce Street. The chapter closed in 1978, having initiated 832 members.
The newsletter was the "Omicron Oracle".
An expansion effort was planned for the Fall of 1984, but was dropped due to a late change of personnel and policy in the campus administration. In spring 2006, a group of 15 students contacted the Fraternity about colonizing to revive the chapter. That effort, however, did not develop successfully. In the 2011 fall semester, Fraternity President and CEO, Gordy Heminger, Bowling Green '96, traveled to campus to meet with University officials to discuss the return of Alpha Sigma Phi. Omicron alumnus and past Foundation Board member Luther Campbell was also in attendance. The University officials were impressed with the leadership programming offered by Alpha Sigma Phi and gave their blessing for our return. Matt Humberger, Director of Chapter and Colony Development made a presentation to the Inter-Fraternity Council in the 2012 spring semester and the IFC affirmed our intent to expand and invited the Fraternity to expand in the 2013 spring semester.
Kappa of Phi Pi Phi was chartered from a colony of Epsilon Alpha Chi, a fraternity which originated at Washington and Jefferson College, and whose Alpha Chapter became Iota of Phi Pi Phi. The chapter was active for only a year, and initiated only 17 members.
Lloyd S. Cochran, Penn '20, served as Grand Senior President of Alpha Sigma Phi and Chairman of the National Inter-fraternity Conference, and has received the Distinguished Service Award. Three other alumni served on the Grand Council of Alpha Sigma Phi. Robert L. Jagocki, Penn '14, served as Executive President and Chairman of the Grand Prudential Committee from 1927 to 1936, and Chairman of the Tomahawk Fund Trustees for 29 years. Brother Jagocki received the first Distinguished Service Award of Alpha Sigma Phi in 1959. Richard M. Archibald, Penn '24, served as Executive Secretary of Alpha Sigma Phi. Elwood Smith, Penn '48, served on the Fraternity staff. Luther R. Campbell, Jr., Penn '47, served as a trustee and director of the Alpha Sigma Phi Foundation, and received a Grand Senior President's Citation in 2006. His father L. Roy Campbell, Penn '15, was auditor for Alpha Sigma Phi and its funds for many years. 17 alumni of the chapter have received the Delta Beta Xi Award.
Paul J. Cupp, Penn '21, and Warren E. Buffett, Penn '48 have been awarded the Distinguished Merit Awards for 1967 and 2001 respectively.
The Omicron Chapter was re-started in the spring of 2013 by staff member Geoff McDonald, Hartwick '05, and re-chartered on February 7, 2015.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.