Founded 1845 | Yale University


Site Map

Virginia Polytechnic Institute

Delta Upsilon Chapter

Virginia Polytechnic Institute
 Founded: September 23, 1995
 Status: Active
 Ideal Chapter Size: 60
 Conduct Violations: Leadership Programs Attendance, 2013


President - Chase Ginther
Vice President - Nicholas Ferentinos
Recruitment Director - Mike Gjormand
Alumni Director - Jalen Bailey
Grand Chapter Advisor - Byron Hughes
Alumni Association President - None

Chapter Newsletter

Delta Upsilon Newsletter - Fall 2016

Chapter History

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University was established as Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1872. During the Fall Semester of 1992, a group of friends discussed the likelihood of rushing a Fraternity already established on the Virginia Tech campus; and the possibility of the five of them entering separate brotherhoods. Over the winter break, Vincent Peters III trained at Chantilly High School with his pole vaulting coach, Ed Danis, President of the Coastal Carolina Colony of Alpha Sigma Phi. Danis inquired about the possibilities of starting a chapter on Virginia Tech's campus. The idea intrigued Vincent and he discussed it with his friend Shawn Barry.

On their return to Tech in early January, Vincent and Shawn talked it over with Shawn's three roommates, James Spore, Brian Beard, and Jeffrey Walker. The five of them began distributing flyers around the campus to peak interest in a new fraternity. At the time three other fraternities were just getting organized on the campus. The first interest meeting was held in late January of 1993. 29 people attended this meeting.  Having no structure to go by, the roster numbers were handed in the order that people expressed interest in participating. Alpha Sigma Phi visited the interest group at Blacksburg, Virginia along with the brothers of Delta Theta Chapter at neighboring Radford University early in 1993. The first meeting was held on January 27, 1993. After discussion of interests, expectations, and standards, the group publicly declared their intention to seek a charter in Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity. It became an interest group and developed structure and grew in membership through the Spring and early Fall of 1993.

By October 1993, membership had grown to 29 and a petition for colonization had been accepted. The group was installed as a colony on October 30, 1993. The colony grew to seventy-one.

In Fall 2010, Adam Koorn, Ohio Wesleyan '08 from Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters worked with administration at Virginia Tech to re-organize the chapter after membership numbers had declined. His initial efforts brought in 11 new members who went through a Pledge Ceremony on September 7, 2010 and were fully initiated on November 9, 2010.

Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.

This information should be submitted to where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.


In this section