Beta Tau Chapter
Wayne State University
Founded: February 12, 1938 Re-chartered: November 21, 2010
Ideal Chapter Size: 35
President - Kovas Regienius
Director - Justin Lumpkins
Director - Andrew Tefend
Advisor - Josh Cupp
President - Cody Duncan
Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup - 
Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup - [2016, 2015, 2012]
Delta Beta Xi
Bailey, Edward C. '40 
Undergraduate Hall of Fame
Marr, Bradley J. '11 
Beta Tau Newsletter - Fall 2016
Wayne State University is an outgrowth of the merger of several older institutions in 1956. The older institutions were the Detroit Medical College, founded in 1868; Detroit Normal School, founded 1881; Colleges of the City of Detroit, founded 1933, and Wayne University, founded 1934.
Psi Delta was organized by nine students in Summer 1934. In September 1937 the group leased a house at 65 Hancock Avenue, Detroit. In November 1937 the fraternity submitted a petition to Alpha Kappa Pi and the group was chartered as Alpha Zeta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Pi in ceremonies at the University of Toledo's Alpha Kappa Pi Chapter on February 12, 1938. W. S. Kitchen, National Secretary of Alpha Kappa Pi installed the chapter.
In 1946 the chapter designation was changed to Beta Tau of Alpha Sigma Phi. In 1949 the Beta Tau chapter acquired a chapter house; Michigan football coach Bennie Oosterbaan, Michigan '25, spoke at the dedication of the house. From 1950 to 1957 the chapter house was located at 655 W. Kirby Street. From 1957 to the early 1970's the house was at 5857 West Second Avenue.
The chapter closed in 1973, when the remaining undergraduate members of the chapter were about to graduate and had not recruited any new members all year. Beta Tau chapter had initiated 528 members before becoming inactive. The chapter newsletter was "The Sabre." The chapter won the 1956-58 Service Award, and the 1964-65 Scholastic Improvement Award. Edward C. Bailey, Wayne '40, received the Delta Beta Xi Award. A re-colonization effort in 2004-05 failed.
In the Spring of 1946 a colony of Alpha Gamma Upsilon fraternity was organized at Wayne State University. On May 4, 1947, it was installed as Eta of Alpha Gamma Upsilon, and had become inactive by the time Alpha Gamma Upsilon merged with Alpha Sigma Phi in 1966.
Fraternity Staff Member Josh Franke, Otterbein '06, developed the group from which the Beta Tau Chapter was re-colonized with 25 members on September 25, 2009, in Room 283 in the Student Center at WSU . Since then, the chapter lead by their Colony President Josh Cupp, Wayne '10 and their Grand Chapter Advisor Matthew Couture, Toledo '07 have worked to bring the "Old Gal" back to Wayne State after a thirty-seven year absence. The Beta Tau Chapter places community service and philanthropy as one of its highest priorities. Community service and good will are essential to bettering the man, as it is important to keep up and enrich ones community, said Jonathon Dike, Wayne State '10 and Vice President of the chapter.
On Sunday, November 21, 2010 on the Wayne State campus. Grand Secretary Bryan Proctor, Grand Valley '96 presided over the chartering ceremonies and presented the charter to the 24 undergraduates who were initiated on Saturday, November 20th. Grand Councilor Aaron Dau, Toledo '07, the Fraternity's General Counsel Steve Gnewkowski, Michigan '67 were also in attendance along with the Fraternity's Director of Chapter Development, Steve Latour, Central Michigan '04.
One of the most memorable moments of the chartering ceremony was when several Beta Tau Alumni took the podium. Lead by Art Schneider, Wayne State '56 who drove from Massachusetts to attend the event and David Kolodziej, Wayne State '57, the men shared a few stories, present the new group with items from the old chapter facility, including gold letters that used to be on the house, as well as some sage wisdom about how to keep the flame of the new group strong.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter's History: Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of this page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: Should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph that needs to be added and/or revised with the new or added information highlighted in yellow or in a different color.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com where it will be reviewed by Fraternity Staff and/or the Grand Historian. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter's history accurately and objectively reflect the chapter, so all corrections, additions, revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter/colony before they are submitted for consideration.